• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Are my dash lights working right?

Alleycat

Reaction score
My speedometer is hard to read in the daylight unless the dash lights are on. I keep the lights on the auto setting so the headlights are on all the time, but the dash instrument panel stays dark. To get the panel lights to come on, I have to set the light control to manual. Is this normal, or is something wrong?

Sorry I can't help you with a current Chevy, all my experience is with 62-66 and a lot has changed since then.

I googled some and found more flashing, dimming/brighter, type problems. Found plenty of not working dash lights, and dimmable lights not working. They checked the fuse, then the dimmer switch, then chased it from there. If it works in manual, it might be the easiest way to see it.

From your description it sounds normal. I say this because when the lights are on auto during daylight only the headlights will be on( daytime running lights) but at night everything will be on when it's in auto because of the light sensor. When you turn on the headlights manually you override the light sensor and turn on everything. I hope this helps.

From your description it sounds normal. I say this because when the lights are on auto during daylight only the headlights will be on( daytime running lights) but at night everything will be on when it's in auto because of the light sensor. When you turn on the headlights manually you override the light sensor and turn on everything. I hope this helps.
Sounds about right. Thanks.

Back