• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

anyone add a stabilizer to a 57 d100 front axle?

grizz

Reaction score
my 57 has a power steering box installed . i lowered the front end by removing 3 leafs and it looks great. drives nice. but i was thinking about adding a stabilizer to limit some of the road shock. any ideas out there ? Picture 812.jpg im also looking for a supplier for a new center link . thanks for your time

Picture 812.jpg

Last edited:
I've never done it , but I can see where adding a stabilizer might help . As for the center link ? Would you be looking for the stock link ? I can check with my supplier and see if I can get you one sometime this week if you'd like .

yes a stock one is what i need. the ones im seeing on line are straight. mine is far from straight lol. thanks bear

I got one for someone a while back and if I remember right it was straight but with a bend close to the middle . Does that sound like the one you have ?

mine has a bend in the middle but i didnt think it was supposed to be. so i need to do a little checking to see if i really need one.

That would be a good idea . If I remember right it was a "slight" bend . It's been a while .

Been thinking about the stabilizer bar being the front is leaf springs maybe one from a mid size pickup rear axle would work.

Been thinking about the stabilizer bar being the front is leaf springs maybe one from a mid size pickup rear axle would work.

I was thinking more like an aftermarket one for the front of a 70's to 80's dodge 4x4 . They come with the mounting hardware , there meant for a leaf spring front end and I think it would be pretty easy for him to put on .

Are you looking to add an anti-sway bar to limit side to side roll in corners or a steering stabilizer to limit steering wheel shake when you kit a bump? The steering stabilizer, which is a shock mounted sideways between the non-shifting axle and the moving drag link or cross link does help a lot on the highway by reducing wander and also helps reduce kickback in manual steering trucks. I added one to my 1872 Winnebago on a Dodge chassis and it helped to no end. I also added one to my 1979 W200 and it steers a lot smoother on the freeway, no more sawing back and forth to keep it centered in the lane. These old trucks with work gear steering always have some slop, this just reduces to need to constantly bounce back and forth to keep a straight line.

A sway bar will help the truck in cornering, but will make for an understeer situation if the bar is too big. Since you softened the front end by removing spring tension, the truck will oversteer now, be careful in the rain as these pickups already are tail happy when it is slippery. So, a sway bar will help a little. Also try adding air to the front tires and reducing the rear tire pressure a little (stay within safe limits written on the tire sidewall) and driving the truck.

More info here: http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/corrections.htm

I have a 71 with a factory stabilizer. Do you still have the straight axle?

yes i still have the straight axle. my season is almost over the the truck. im putting front disc brakes and new king pins on. i put over 2500 miles on this summer. its a sweet truck.

Back