• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anybody ever replace a dual pickup distributor for single?

Polara_500

Reaction score
Getting irritated with my 87 W250 w/360 NP435. Didn't run well when I bought it, part of the reason I got it real cheap, found out there had been a fire on the engine and been miswired when they fixed it so the run pickup wasn't connected at all and the start pickup was wired into the run mode - so no advance whatsoever and wouldn't start until you released the key. Got that fixed and the carb rebuilt and it ran nice. Next phase I went after an exhaust leak and couldn't get a broken stud out so yanked the head for that and found that some valves had been making out with piston tops leaving some nice divots in the pistons. Being lucky enough to have a fresh 360 sitting around I just swapped motors and the new one also had the dual pickup distributor so all is good, right??? Not so - now the start pickup isn't working and once again it'll only start when you release the key, grrrrr. I've been through the troubleshooting sequence twice and everything looks great and checks good but it just won't start in the start position, so I'm thinking of rewiring the distributor and just chucking in a single pickup unit. Not really convinced the dual setup was a significant gain anyway and it is just a beater working truck, it just needs to run well and originality isn't an issue to me.

So,,,, has anyone done this before and have any tips or shortcuts before I start??
Thanks, Mike

Single pickup with vacuum advance distributor and old ecu will work wired seperate.
Leave everything connected to the existing bain except the distributor. Another option would be an hei distributor.

Kinda what I figured, just haven't gotten into the schematics yet to figure which wires I need and which to delete to take out the relay.

Back