• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

And now for something a little different.

Polara_500

Reaction score
I have a lot of yard cleanup to do, lots of stuff to haul to the landfill, recycling plant, etc.. When pricing dump trailers to rent it was obvious that would be the major cost involved and while I don't so much mind the work to load the "stuff", it gets onerous when you also have to manually unload so being able to dump with power was a big point for me. Anyway, I decided I could pick up an old dump truck fairly reasonably priced, use it for a while and then resell it which would greatly reduce my total cost - not to mention having the luxury of doing the work over a period of time at my own pace.

So, here's the result - a 64 Chevy farm truck. $1200 invested for a nice running rig, biggest hassle was my ins co wouldn't cover it since I don't farm and I'm not using it commercially. So had to find another ins agent, and as an aside, I think I'll end up moving all my insurance since I don't like them telling me what I can/can't drive.
upload_2016-8-31_9-56-15.png

I think I'll end up moving all my insurance since I don't like them telling me what I can/can't drive.
My old agent took a vehicle off my policy and marked it as a sold vehicle. Never even left the property, went to reinsure it nd they said I had to prove it was sold to someone else! I drove it for 6 months without doing anything, younger and broke, but after the 3rd state trooper flashed lights at me, it was time to move on to another vehicle. I got a different agent shortly after that.

Make sure your drivers licence will cover that. Hauling for myself in Missouri I would be ok as soon as I hauled for someone else, would be in trouble on a regular licence.
All states are different.

Yeah, it's all good for licensing, would need more work if it had air brakes but other than that I'm okay.

Polara you are not far enough into the country side to get away with a farm plate? Here I have to have at least 2.5 acres and they are ok with it but there are restrictions on distances from home and usage. My neighbors would complain more than the state.

I've got 5 acres, but don't have a farm income so the Ins co wouldn't go with the farm truck option. That's essentially what the state did with the plates after I explained it all, though. Hard part is that I had to have insurance before I could approach the state to license it............. All my neighbors are farmers so they don't give a rip what I do, and at least one of them will be happy if I get the downed trees out of the edges of the field. It's great having the nearest neighbor at a quarter mile distance.

I've got 5 acres, but don't have a farm income so the Ins co wouldn't go with the farm truck option. That's essentially what the state did with the plates after I explained it all, though. Hard part is that I had to have insurance before I could approach the state to license it............. All my neighbors are farmers so they don't give a rip what I do, and at least one of them will be happy if I get the downed trees out of the edges of the field. It's great having the nearest neighbor at a quarter mile distance.
Lucky.

There are advantages to having distant neighbors. Time to buy something to eat the grass each summer and sell it in the fall. Farm income at its simplest.

Goats are nasty little beasties. All farm animals in general require too much work and routine attention, that really limits what you can do with free time since you have to plan for their care. I don't even have a dog for that same reason - cats don't have the same limitations, just have someone stop over every 2 or 3 days to refill the feeder and water bowl and they're good.

Goats are nasty little beasties. All farm animals in general require too much work and routine attention, that really limits what you can do with free time since you have to plan for their care. I don't even have a dog for that same reason - cats don't have the same limitations, just have someone stop over every 2 or 3 days to refill the feeder and water bowl and they're good.
When we go anywhere same happens to the dog. He is use to it so it is nothing new to him.
Goats or cattle a good fence, water and grass they will take care of themselves for the most part.

Back