• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

All about learning

Jess

Reaction score
Hello all. I am hoping for a bit of assistance with my dodge truck. First off, I'm not entirely sure of what year it is. The previous owners registration said it was a 1966 but it doesn't look anything like the 66 model. Hopefully I can get a picture loaded shortly. I was also looking for help in putting a new front suspension under the truck. Does anybody know of a relatively easy swap from a donor car that has a coil spring setup? I'm not sure what powertrain it will end up with but nowadays anything can be bolted up to anything. Cost is always a factor as usual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Crown Victoria front end a few mods are required but gas monkey used it on a truck identical to your blue one. Worked out great

Crown Vic's are fairly easy to come by. Any idea what year I should be looking for?

If I remember correctly a friend of mine moved the cab mounts & bolted the bed & bumpers directly on I know the frames are the are the same width

I have stumbled across a 1974 dodge half ton that has a bunch of body damage but the frame looks solid. The only problem I have found so far is that the wheelbase is about 8 inches longer. Any suggestions on how to correct it?

Was it a reg cab short bed ?
I have stumbled across a 1974 dodge half ton that has a bunch of body damage but the frame looks solid. The only problem I have found so far is that the wheelbase is about 8 inches longer. Any suggestions on how to correct it?

What ever you do if you do have to cut a frame to shorten it , "DON'T" use a torch . Depending on wear you have to section the frame , if you don't have a plasma cutter then use a cut off wheel or even a saw's all . Another thing , If you end up having to cut the frame in the middle to section it then make what's called a pie cut or a Z cut and use what's called a fish plate behind it . Never cut the frame straight up and down to section one . Not if you want to keep your truck in one piece .
cutting torch? :yield:

Both trucks are a regular cab with an 8' box. I kind of remember seeing Stacey David shortening a frame on Gears a while back. Might have to go on a hunt to find that episode. Thanks for the help.

I remember that episode . definitely watch it . He did sectioned that truck correctly and it would let you know what you'd be getting into if your thinking about doing it .

I am still having difficulties figuring out what exact year my truck is. Does anybody know if there are differences in the gauge panels between the years? Or if there are noticeable differences between any parts on the early sixties trucks?

Or if there are noticeable differences between any parts on the early sixties trucks?

'61's have a unique alluminum grill and clear marker lenses.
From '62 through the middle of '65 there are no changes, save for the automatic shifter went from pushbutton to dash mounted at the end of '64.

Put your VIN in here and it will tell you what you have: http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegistry/

Front clips from C-body Mopars, F/J/M body Mopars, Crown Vics, early '70's Camaros, and more have been swapped in. An entire frame swap with a '71-'93 Dodge truck, or just the front clip from the same is probably the most common. What are your goals for the truck? That might help dictate which swap is best. For instance, I have a late '65 with a New Yorker front clip (bought it this way) that will make a great cruiser, but a terrible work truck.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. I entered my truck serial number into the registry but it told me that the plant code was invalid. The overall plan for the truck is to be drive able yet functional. I'm leaning towards the 74 truck frame swap because it would give a fairly decent ride yet still be able to haul a load and pull a trailer. I have been searching online for an air ride system to help the comfort level but have come up with nothing so far.

I think the wheel base lines up better on the mid '65-'71 trucks. So you're stuck with either shortening the new frame, or splicing in the front clip. Here is a decent link to the latter option: http://www.sweptline.com/tech/ifs1.html Shortening the frame is pretty straight forward, a friend and I just did one a couple months ago.

So I managed to get the frames from both trucks torn down to a manageable state. The plan is to swap the front clip off of the 74 frame to the 63 frame. Should be doing that before too long. My next question is regarding the fuel tank. I really don't want to put it back behind the seat. And I really don't want it at the rear in the frame because I'd like to put a spare tire there. Any suggestions for donor vehicle tanks that would fit inside the frame rails under the box? I'm hoping to put dual tanks in for longer road trips.

Back