• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Add to this survival list

memike

Reaction score
Here in Arkansas we are getting our first snow fall this morning :rain:
It is 37 degree's F. with a 15mph wind out of the north/northwest
We have 3 time more acorns on the ground then we had last year
It could be a wet long winter!
It's time to look over my survival stock and refresh my supplies

Put yourself in a 5 day scenario No electricity, water, a way to town because tree's and snow has you trapped in.

1. I save all my bleach jugs (well over 15 dated) for human consumption.

2.------You add the next :welcome:

Please just add one item to the list per day please.
I hope to learn what the east and west coast and south to the north do..

storm%20089.jpg

A generator and 5 days worth of gas. It is nice to have electricity.

Very good advice I had about 6 gallons in my generator and we lost power yesterday morning at 4 am and woke up to a 59 degree home, so I went out and hooked mine up, A must have out here in the sticks, we was out of power for 17 long hours.
I was so happy to see the power come back on last night, I did not have to go out and refill the gas tank this morning !!
We ended up getting 8'' the night I started this thread.

Gift's in life 11 28 2011 051.jpg

Gift's in life 11 28 2011 052.jpg

Lots of canned goods.
A cabinet full for sure Stan, We had about 2 gallons of vegetable stew froze in the freezer and it was tasty, I now have about 1 1/2 gallons froze up in the freezer after this fiasco

Gift's in life 11 28 2011 034.jpg

Well sense I mist a day because I lost my internet and power I need to put 2 more in to stay up to date

1. I save all my bleach jugs (well over 15 dated) for human consumption
2. bremereric = A generator and 5 days worth of gas. It is nice to have electricity
3. stansgray03 = Lots of canned goods.
4. batteries for radio/Tv/flashlights
5. A stash of med's for 5 days or wobbly pop's

Gift's in life 11 28 2011.jpg

Memike...I think you will have to get a new TV...remember the government made them change to digital. I am pretty sure your TV won't work anymore.

winter blahs

no offence intended here but you made me smile. how bad can it get there. up here in south east ontario canada we use to get a lot of snow but not so much anymore.
the most important thing needed is power. how much is another matter. if you are on town services it is less needed than rual. the town will have back up generators for water and natural gas will still be on. if in the country you need a fair bit more for heat, water and creature comforts.

living where you do i would guess the 2 most important needs will be water and food. it will never get cold enough that you will freeze to death. if using a portable genny have a couple off long ext. cords around to rotate from appliance to appliance as needed. it will take a freezer 2-3 days to thaw out. most people will have enough in their pantry and freezer for a week.

the last time i remember up here was 10-15 yrs ago we got hit bad with freezing rain that had people out for several days in places.

i live in the country and need a lot of power so i fixed that. the photo's will show that. just think rational and be rational. it will pass. rick:amen:

p.s. the genny goes on and off automatically when needed and does the whole place. threw in the centeral air pic in case it is summer.

survival 006.jpg

survival 007.jpg

survival 008.jpg

Last edited:
Memike...I think you will have to get a new TV...remember the government made them change to digital. I am pretty sure your TV won't work anymore.
Yes, you are right, but I still get a couple channels on UHF 24 and some where around 40, as you can see there is a radio on that old battery powered tv and it picks up great
And I do have this one for weather band and cb receiving, it's getting old but it still works good but it's time for a new upgrade this year.

Gift's in life 11 28 2011 050.jpg

J Town Are you into the whole prepping thing?

I am, and glad I do.
a couple years ago (the picture you see in my first post) we was out of electricity for about 7 days and I took care of and helped feed 11 people, The other family next door is on a well and no electricity to get water, I am on city water and heated water for bathing and served up many meal and seems like 100 cups of coffee.

no offence intended here but you made me smile. how bad can it get there. up here in south east ontario canada we use to get a lot of snow but not so much anymore.
the most important thing needed is power. how much is another matter. if you are on town services it is less needed than rual. the town will have back up generators for water and natural gas will still be on. if in the country you need a fair bit more for heat, water and creature comforts.

living where you do i would guess the 2 most important needs will be water and food. it will never get cold enough that you will freeze to death. if using a portable genny have a couple off long ext. cords around to rotate from appliance to appliance as needed. it will take a freezer 2-3 days to thaw out. most people will have enough in their pantry and freezer for a week.

the last time i remember up here was 10-15 yrs ago we got hit bad with freezing rain that had people out for several days in places.

i live in the country and need a lot of power so i fixed that. the photo's will show that. just think rational and be rational. it will pass. rick:amen:

p.s. the genny goes on and off automatically when needed and does the whole place. threw in the centeral air pic in case it is summer.

Those automatically thrown system are great, many homes out here in the sticks have them and in town. As far as freezing to death , yes it can happen here, -20 for 5 day would do it when it gets that low and it does at times with a wind chill factor.
It gets bad at anytime here in Northeast Arkasas, tornadoes, storms and all it takes is a bad heavy snow to cause electricity to be disrupted and the generator you see I have is hooked up manually in about 15 minutes and it will run my heat and a/c, But! If I want to use the hot water heater (cold water heater!! Who heat's hot water LMAO) I turn my heat off so it can heat water for a good hot shower when needed, It keeps the lights on and tv to all my computer, no extension cords needed because I hook it up to my bus bar and shut the main breaker off out side, so it's been doing great.
Butane is the way to go, but there is usually plenty of gas in cars and such to use it when needed, I do not have gas lines of any kind here on the hill, My BBQ grill has 2 small bottles ready to cook if needed.
I sure do like your rock home!! A great looking home you have there and ready for anything, congratulations

Last edited:
#6=Plenty of fresh rounds of ammo and fishing gear ready here on the hill is very important , I may have to feed a few families that don't know how to do anything except open a can, Reality!! it is what it is.

#6=Plenty of fresh rounds of ammo and fishing gear ready here on the hill is very important , I may have to feed a few families that don't know how to do anything except open a can, Reality!! it is what it is.

there is a lot of truth to that fact

I would forget the water proof matches and some sort firesteel option. Water proof matches are only water resistant and you only have so many of them. A firesteel will make spark if wet and will last a very long time. Also remember in survival 1 is none and 2 is one, meaning always plan incase you lose or break one.

If you really interested in self reliance go to Youtube and look up the channel WildernessOutfitters. If you ever seen the show Dual Survivor on the discovery channel this is Dave Cantaberry's Youtube channel and how he became famous to make it on a discovery show. Hes a lot more hardcore here than he was on his show but the info you will learn is much more top notch.

Back