• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

? about dodge truck grilles, 72-80.

Tnplumber

Reaction score
I am a long time Mopar guy, but I just got my first Dodge truck a few months ago. I have been looking for a good grille for my '78. What is the deal with two different grilles for these trucks, some have trun signals in the grilles, others under the grille. Wondering which is correct for my '78 D100.

I thought so, but i have seen several 78s with both style grilles.

Uhm, the 79's had two grills, one with double headlights, and one with single headlights..... News to me if the 78 did also, all the 78's I have seen have the 77-78 grill.

The 77,78's are the only ones to have the signals in the grill. The 77's had the clear signals and 78's had amber. As Dodgetkboy said, the 79's had 2 styles with the 4 rect. lamp and 2 round lamp which was carried over into 80. People mix n match to their preference as can be seen by mine so if you've seen a 78 with signals in the filler panel then somebody has changed it. Finding a real nice one is usually a little tuff and also usually pricey.
Just my 2cts.

Yep; 77 and 78's both had signal lights in the grill.Dodge had lettered grill and Plymouth had a non lettered grill.

The 77,78's are the only ones to have the signals in the grill. The 77's had the clear signals and 78's had amber. As Dodgetkboy said, the 79's had 2 styles with the 4 rect. lamp and 2 round lamp which was carried over into 80. People mix n match to their preference as can be seen by mine so if you've seen a 78 with signals in the filler panel then somebody has changed it. Finding a real nice one is usually a little tuff and also usually pricey.
Just my 2cts.

Correct.

Also, I believe where some of the confusion come from (if I remember correctly) the 79s-up have the rectangular head lights for the 1/2 & 3/4 tons and the 1 tons-up have the old style 78-back round ones. If I am wrong someone correct me.

Was wondering about this myself not too long ago after I purchased my 1980 D100 Short bed. It's got the quad rectangular headlights and I always thought the 80's had 2 round.

79 80 grills

Here is the how the 79 and 80 truck grills work. The round single and the rectangular double headlights were available on the 1/2 through 1 ton trucks. If the truck was a Custom trim level (low line) it will have single rounds, if it was an Adventurer or higher it will have the quad lights. The radiator core support is the same for both trim lines with the exception of metal risers spot welded on to the support to hold the round headlight buckets. HTH.

It had nothing to do with 1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks as to which grille the 79s and 80s, had but rather it was a trim level option available on all 79 and 80' dodge trucks

Just my 2cts.

I ordered a 78 w-150 Dec 2 1977 and took delivery on Jan 31 1978 the park lights in the grille were clear.Still have the truck,it has 36k on it,90% of its original paint.

Jeff

Here is the how the 79 and 80 truck grills work. The round single and the rectangular double headlights were available on the 1/2 through 1 ton trucks. If the truck was a Custom trim level (low line) it will have single rounds, if it was an Adventurer or higher it will have the quad lights. The radiator core support is the same for both trim lines with the exception of metal risers spot welded on to the support to hold the round headlight buckets. HTH.

Interesting - My 1980 appears to be a Custom, yet it has the quad headlights

Secret indy is right . Look at the front of his truck . Thats what your truck should look like . As far as the 79 / 80 grill , the quad lights were a trim option . Look at the front of mine . The round lights were used on the lower optioned truck's in 79 / 80 but did use the same rad suport .

I am a long time Mopar guy, but I just got my first Dodge truck a few months ago. I have been looking for a good grille for my '78. What is the deal with two different grilles for these trucks, some have trun signals in the grilles, others under the grille. Wondering which is correct for my '78 D100.
I havea 78 truck looking to ged rid of no motor or trans may part out

Back