• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

A727 upshift problem

robsw200

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently rebuilt a 727, dont know if it was working before it all came together with the truck. I put everything together and road tested it, 1st gear and reverse work fine but it will not shift up at all. Took it up to almost 40mph and it was screaming but no upshift. I adjusted the throttle linkage and its fine. I tested the governor port with the wheels up in D going about 10-15 mph and there is no pressure at all. My line pressure im not able to read accurately since my gauge only goes up to 80psi but it was pegged out at idle in D with the wheels up. Im guessing there might be something stuck in the governor assembly, but before i tear off the tail housing in this 100* heat could it be something else?

You need a guage that reads over 300 psi to check everything.
The governor will not keep it from trying to shift. It just will not allow it. Like it will try and simply drop back down.
Did you pressure check the clutch packs and servo's before installing the valve body? Also did you do anything to the valve body?
But being there was no pressure at all at the governor port as no attempted up shifts the valve body would be a practical place to start. While the valve body is out air pressure testing should be done to the clutch packs and servo's. Also what did you set the band adjustments to?

Forgot to mention, i also rebuilt the vb with a tf2 kit. I air checked before putting it together and the servos all worked, and i set the band adjustments to whatever spec was on the tf2 instruction sheet. Guess ill get the pan down and rebuild the vb again tomorrow to see if i find anything.

Forgot to mention, i also rebuilt the vb with a tf2 kit. I air checked before putting it together and the servos all worked, and i set the band adjustments to whatever spec was on the tf2 instruction sheet. Guess ill get the pan down and rebuild the vb again tomorrow to see if i find anything.
What did the tf2 kit contain?

Does it eliminate the kick down linkage? You said manual, so I'm guessing it did.

No, i still have the throttle linkage connected and adjusted correctly. The manual valve is just the valve connected to the shifter linkage that moves when selecting P R N D 2 1

Back