• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

A100 - Looking for power steering advice

kiwigtx

International Mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
It's been a long time since I was over here on a regular basis. Been really busy over with FBBO, and the great bunch of guys there. Have not used my A100 for a coup,le of years now....it just sits gathering dust and ageing gracefully under a cover in my buddy's barn. It's always a treat to take it out for a ride....usually involves a few burnouts etc.

Anyway, my questions are going to start up again...getting excited about getting back into the trucky thing now. I know that there is a "Scarebird"product out there for disc brakes etc, but has anyone come up with a real solution for power steering? My buddy suggested a similar forward control vehicle like the Mitsubishi L300 - but I would need a left hand drive version. Do they exist Stateside?
mitsubishi_L300.jpg

My shop hack is a Toyota Hiace which is similar to the L300... (similar to this one)...
BF62043_1.jpg

I'm looking to re-power my A100.....thinking maybe big or bigger block, and auto. :)
The 360 is just not quite enough to push the air off the windscreen like I want it to.

Bill Maverick would bring the real Little Red Wagon to a little thing we had the next town north of me, Motofest. He would do wheelstands down main Street. I heard about it but never made it down here (I lived 2 hours north at the time) til I met this gal I'm still with. Wish I could have seen that.

Last edited:
i also would loved to have seen and heard the LRW and "Hemi under glass" in person. Both unique vehicles and awesome for MoPar to have them both as show ponies. :cool:

i also would loved to have seen and heard the LRW and "Hemi under glass" in person. Both unique vehicles and awesome for MoPar to have them both as show ponies. :cool:
I have had the fortune of seeing them both at the Mopar Nationals, both guys were very easy going and personable. Bob Riggle was coaching a newer wheelstands on how to drive during the runs. That was cool to see a legend coaching a new guy carrying the torch.

Has anyone got any power steering advice they wish to share?

What year is the A100?
1968......pickup....short wheel base, small block 360

What are the main issues involved, space and what else?
It needs to be something that mounts either to the chassis rail as the original one does, or be a rack and pinion deal that someone has had success with. The suppliers over these parts only have right hand steer options for me....no good, I need an American solution with left hand steering.

Hi Kiwi,
Love your A100. I used to work at a Dodge truck dealer back in 1977. We had a couple out back in the yard but that's ancient history. I drove a couple of those with 318's and power steering. My 64 A100 van was a /6 with manual everything. Did you try ebay or Rock Auto?
I was fortunate enough to have seen both the Hemi Under Glass and The Little Red Wagon run on multiple occasions. I also remember a really good story from Bill Maverick when he rolled it once, scary as hell! By the way, I don't know if you know it or not but Bob Riggle took long time admirer Jay Leno for a ride in his car and rolled it several times. I think it was totaled! The video is probably on you tube. I will keep my eyes pealed for what I guess is a bracket to mount the pump. I am not sure as It's been over 30 years since I sold mine. If I find one I will give you a shout. Best of luck!

Hi Kiwi,
Love your A100. I used to work at a Dodge truck dealer back in 1977. We had a couple out back in the yard but that's ancient history. I drove a couple of those with 318's and power steering. My 64 A100 van was a /6 with manual everything. Did you try ebay or Rock Auto?
I was fortunate enough to have seen both the Hemi Under Glass and The Little Red Wagon run on multiple occasions. I also remember a really good story from Bill Maverick when he rolled it once, scary as hell! By the way, I don't know if you know it or not but Bob Riggle took long time admirer Jay Leno for a ride in his car and rolled it several times. I think it was totaled! The video is probably on you tube. I will keep my eyes pealed for what I guess is a bracket to mount the pump. I am not sure as It's been over 30 years since I sold mine. If I find one I will give you a shout. Best of luck!
Thanks mate....i do appreciate that help. Yes, I saw that video with jay Leno and Bob Riggle....one scary ride for both of them I suspect. Jay looked a little bewildered as he got out the wreckage, but Bob seemed to take it all in his stride....like he'd done it before.
I have been searching in Australia also for rack & pinion swap-outs, as I was told that Toyota Landcruiser might work. I think some engineering ingenuity is going to play out here soon, unless I get some solid directions. :)

Kiwi,
I fell off the toilet and into a time warp. You probably already know this, maybe not, but ::: I recalled today that the A100s with power steering came with an augmented dog house. As the doghouse, if I remember, was a 5 piece that bolted together, I recall that the driver side panel was specially modified from the factory with an extra bulge to accommodate clearance for the power steering pump. I am quite sure, as previously discussed, the bracket was unique for that application. I don't know but I think I saw in the boneyard a slant6 with power steering which had the same special modified panel. As I try to remember, it is also possible that the drivers front seat mounting bracket was also altered to clear the power steering system.
Regardless, I was also wondering about the use of a (fast ratio) manual steering box which is internally geared differently and in addition used a longer pitman and idler arm. I don't know squat about the specs on interchangeability, but I thought that you could swap in a manual unit from another Mopar as a possible alternative. I read on the B body site that this change results in something like 20% less steering wheel rotation than what was standard. I think I read that the fast ratio boxes were used on police cars and such, not sure.
I just thought that I would throw that one out there before my brain-fart goes away! :confused:

Kiwi,
I fell off the toilet and into a time warp. You probably already know this, maybe not, but ::: I recalled today that the A100s with power steering came with an augmented dog house. As the doghouse, if I remember, was a 5 piece that bolted together, I recall that the driver side panel was specially modified from the factory with an extra bulge to accommodate clearance for the power steering pump. I am quite sure, as previously discussed, the bracket was unique for that application. I don't know but I think I saw in the boneyard a slant6 with power steering which had the same special modified panel. As I try to remember, it is also possible that the drivers front seat mounting bracket was also altered to clear the power steering system.
Regardless, I was also wondering about the use of a (fast ratio) manual steering box which is internally geared differently and in addition used a longer pitman and idler arm. I don't know squat about the specs on interchangeability, but I thought that you could swap in a manual unit from another Mopar as a possible alternative. I read on the B body site that this change results in something like 20% less steering wheel rotation than what was standard. I think I read that the fast ratio boxes were used on police cars and such, not sure.
I just thought that I would throw that one out there before my brain-fart goes away! :confused:
Thanks...I'll look up my CD manual - should have gone there first I guess....lol. My dog-house is a 4-piece, so that makes sense. I would probably use a steering pump that mounts up as opposed to period and model correct - just for clearance purposes.
I still think I can get a modern Japanese steering rack to work somehow. i might have to consult my local Go-To guy. :happy:

I just found this in the supplemental manual - for trucks with 7000lb load rating.
upload_2017-12-7_22-22-40.png

Back