• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

A little carb help here?

Polara_500

Reaction score
So I'm trying to resurrect an 87 W250 w/360/NP435 that had a non original Holley carb on it. I generally dislike Holleys, mostly due to my inability to tune them, but this one I actually had running decently before I discovered how bad the engine was.... At any rate, it was not what I consider a proper install and there were a lot of things all over the engine bay messed up and the carb is my latest stumbling block. Can anyone identify this beastie and point out the necessary connections - where does the vacuum advance connect and so on? I looked for numbers here and there but didn't find any.

upload_2016-8-23_21-22-7.png

upload_2016-8-23_21-22-40.png

upload_2016-8-23_21-23-7.png

Thanks....... Mike

Okay, found out most of the connections except for the one at the arrow - anyone care to step up and let me know what this one's for?
upload_2016-8-24_11-57-16.png

It's the choke fresh air intake hose port. It goes to the plugged hose above it.

Just loop a hose between them? That sounds real weird, even for a Holley. Was thinking the blanked one on top was maybe some sort of bowl vent ala Carter, but mebbe not.

I tried to get a pic from the manual, but yeah, a loop between the two ports.

Thanks Mob, that'll finish up the carb, now time to tackle the electrical. That's even a worse mess. And after that it's time to try track down the vacuum lines which were all burnt off or pulled apart everywhere. Need to get the CAD setup straightened out and I haven't been able to find the vacuum source for the heater/defroster either.

Well, not a good day up nawth........ Finally got the 87 W250 running today after I replaced a mysteriously failed starter. Seems to run okay although it will need some fine tuning yet, then for some reason I pulled it into gear and it seems the clutch isn't fully disengaging - so, I drove it through the garage door. Arrrgghhh!!!! Don't know what that's gonna cost but I'm sure it won't be cheap. I guess it's at least a good thing it's still above freezing. (Gotta find something positive, right?) Sad part is that I'd opened the door for venting and then just stuck the exhaust hose out and closed the door to it to keep heat in, if I'd just left the damn door up there'd have been no issue except the scare. By the way, the chocks didn't even slow it down.

Sounds like you were having a Monday . What's the clutch disc sticking to the pressure plate ? Did you have the tranny and clutch set up out of the truck at all at any point ?

The clutch is new, wasn't about to change the engine without putting a new clutch in. The clutch felt good while depressing it, but had no help to actually measure/look at the clutch at the flywheel so I assume I just didn't have the travel set right. Will have to find another body so I can set the clutch properly before I attempt to put it in gear again. The garage door guy just left, he's guessing just a bit over a grand, of course it's a 10 x 10, 2" insulated door in color so it'll take a week just to get another door in.

I hope that's all it is . I just went thru this with a buddy of mine . He had a runner in there that he was working on . Someone had just put the tranny and clutch set up in before he got it . He went to start it and the car almost went thru the shop and into his tool box on it's own . I went down there to help him figure it out and it turned out that the disc that was put in was to thick so the clutch wasn't disengaging .

Thanks for the warning, definitely something to watch for. Having a second body to operate the clutch while I adjust I should be able to verify it's not stuck to the wheel.

Yeah , they were messing with that issue for a week , swapping out shifters , messing with the adjustments , etc. . I walked in had someone stepping on the peddle while I looked at it on the lift . I lit a smoke and said hmmm , The clutch is fucked , pull it out and sure enough I was right . lol

I lit a smoke and said hmmm , The clutch is fucked , pull it out and sure enough I was right . lol
At least you didn't have any attitude with your diagnosis! They must have loved you for at least an hour or so.

At least you didn't have any attitude with your diagnosis! They must have loved you for at least an hour or so.
What are you talking about ? Just to know me is to love me , what's not to love ? :) lol

What are you talking about ? Just to know me is to love me , what's not to love ? :) lol
Seriously though , I have a habit of doing stuff like that for some reason . Funny story . I met a guy this season that's been working on his Bee . He rewired the car himself and he's been trying to get it to crank for about a year now . He's had about four other guy's look at it for him and no one could figure out why it wouldn't crank with the key . I told him I'd swing by and take a look at it for him . When I got there he had already pushed it out of the garage and there was no hood on the car . As I was walking up his driveway looking at the engine bay Ii asked him were the rest of the harness was for the bulkhead . Because it was obvious that one row was missing . He looked at me and then went into the back seat and got it and said that this was for his headlights . I took it from him , plugged it in as well as the "one" wire that went to the starter solenoid and told him to crank it over . Do I need to say more ? lol

Sad they could not even tell the starter solenoid was not engaging. It helps to know how systems are supposed to work.

Sad they could not even tell the starter solenoid was not engaging. It helps to know how systems are supposed to work.
The really sad part is that he has a running driving runner sitting right there to look at to make sure everything was wired up correctly . All someone had to do was roll back the car cover and open the hood and "look" . In case's like this Bill Engvall skit "Here's your sign" comes to mind . lol

Back