• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

'99 Dodge

rr6pak

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. I'm a "newbie" on this site but not on other sites. Have a '99 Ram with low miles. Going to replace the front and rear bumpers due to the rear has a rust spot coming through and the front has a dent from my ex wife. Anyway, was thinking of spraying like a bed liner on the under side of the rear to prevent future rust, maybe the front too. What would you prefer? Should I scuff the underside of the rear bumper before spraying it on? Truck is in good shape and want to keep it for a bit more. Have the front, rear, bumpers and all of the plastic add ons from LMC truck. Thanks!

The bed liner would be ok but I would treat any rust first with a rust converter. If they are new ignore the rust converter

I didn't use the bedliner stuff. I put a rust proof stuff on, let it turn black, then painted it. This was the inner frame structure of the rear bumper

Sorry, no pictures. It's nothing fancy per say but I bought it in '01 with 25,000 on it and now I just turned over 92,000. I don't drive it everyday, I take care of it, but it sure comes in handy when I need it. It sure beats a truck payment

Going to tackle the front. Has anyone changed the front? The air bag sensor is somehow connected to the front and I know need to disconnect the battery. Anyone know where the sensor is located? Is there one or two? I have a manual but for the life of me, I cannot find it :banghead:

I usually Google the wiring diagrams, even then you have to wade through the pics to find the right year.

I usually Google the wiring diagrams, even then you have to wade through the pics to find the right year.
Google is your friend or your worst enemy. I have found lots of worthless wiring diagrams on google that claimed to be of the right year. Be careful.

I got both the front and rear bumpers back on. The rear bumper was harder than the front with the nut being rusty. Front bumper had 6 (?) nuts and bolts that held the bumper on. I just had to disconnect the fog/driving lights in the front. For added measure, I disconnected the battery as well just because if playing with the front, I didn't want to accidentally blow the airbags if I didn't find the plug(if there is one). The plastic popped right off of the front. Only thing is some of the plastic pieces was black, some came gray, how weird would that look? So, I need to get some black paint and spray paint the one and only big piece black and then pop it back on. Over all, they look great. I just wanted to spend a little coin on the old girl to make it look better for a few more years. I already replaced the headlights and put a protective film on both headlights and fog/driving lights so they won't get dingy from road grim/rocks/etc. I do have a new grill to go on but will tackle that soon as well.

Would be surprised the amount that do not untill the paint flakes and falls off.

When I initially installed the driving lights about 8 years ago, I painted the "buckets" where the lights go and the big rap-around black because those weren't black but everything else was. Bottom line is the paint held up for all of these years

Just remember to get the paint designed for plastic.
Designed for plastic? Some different bonding agent for the plastic? I can't use the same paint for fiberglass parts as I would on the metal of the vehicle? Just curious as I know nothing about paints.

Front turned out good

20170924_155221.jpg

When I initially installed the driving lights about 8 years ago, I painted the "buckets" where the lights go and the big rap-around black because those weren't black but everything else was. Bottom line is the paint held up for all of these years
Guess you got lucky and used an appropriate paint.

Back