• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

98 ram ball joints

Dodge440x6

Reaction score
I have a 98 Ram 2WD that I am going to replace both upper and lower ball joints.
My question is do both upper and lower have snap retainers that need to be removed first?

On my 98 3500 just the bottom had snap rings the top was riveted in the new top one will bolt in,make sure you get a ball joint remover/installer for the bottoms [get a loaner from the parts store] it makes the job so much quicker,i have done this twice on mine in the 11 years i have had my truck the first time was a block and hammer [beat the old one out and the new one in] second time [probly cause i beat them in] i used the tool it took me 1/3rd the time with the tool i'll never do this without the proper tools again. Be sure you check the loaner tools prior to leaving the store in case there is something missing.

On the 1500's the top and bottom are pressed in. I can provide pics of each if you would like I have all new Moog parts sitting on my shelf at home waiting for me. The uppers are just pressed in and the lowers have the snap ring. Just pulled up my pics to check. Moog part numbers are upper K7206T and the lowers K7271.

Back