• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

96 Ram 5.9 gas leaking AF from T/chain cover????

HEMI-ITIS

Behind the wheel
Reaction score
Does coolant flow through the timing chain cover??
I mostly use the truck for plowing,took the plow off in the spring and parked it in front of the house.Went to use it 4th of July weekend,started it up to go shoot some Freon in for the weekend,,,,,,fired it up and the tach went right to 2500. Tapped the pedal to idle it down and it went to 3000 rpm.:arghh: So I loaded it up on my flatbed and brought it over to a friends shop.
He removed the airbox and the throttle body looked like it was hangin' off the back of a saltwater boat,alotta corrosion.So he sprayed it down in & out and the idle went back to normal.Now we had already shot Freon in twice with dye and found NOTHING:cyclops:
So we know it has to be the evap core,but I wanted A/C for the weekend. Paul shot it with Freon and told me to take it for a blast and blast I did.Came back with cold A/C and drove back on the rollback.Went to throw a "J" hook on and saw ANTIFREEZE leaking out T/chain cover.SO,,,,,,,,,do I need a new cover,,,,,,or just a gasket?????

Guess you will not know until it has been removed unless you can see it coming out of the cover housing. You sure it is not come from the water pump housing?

Pressure test it if you haven't already to get better idea of exactly where the leak is. The magnum T chain covers don't seem to corrode like the LA covers but anything is possible. Get a gasket set and water pump (there cheap replace it while it's down) and tear it open inspect water jackets of cover throughly.

Pressure test it if you haven't already to get better idea of exactly where the leak is. The magnum T chain covers don't seem to corrode like the LA covers but anything is possible. Get a gasket set and water pump (there cheap replace it while it's down) and tear it open inspect water jackets of cover throughly.
Didn't pressure test,good idea!

Well,since is just my plow truck,,,,,,,bought a timing gear set and held off on the cover.Had my man take it apart and we got by just cleaning up the cover,installing a new OEM timing set and a new water pump for good PM.Paul put it back together with fresh coolant and part 1 is done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,finally.

Part 2 will hopefully be next week.over the last 2 years,had to shoot it with Freon {with dye of course} and could never find the leak.We know what that means......
Gunna install a new evap core and might as well change the heater core while it's apart.
So even though I didn't get to use it this summer,it will be ready for another tough winter that is coming our way.
Thanks for yout help fellas!

Back