• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

95 Dakota V8 auto. shifting problems!

I believe the shifting problem with my 95 Dakota is fixed! I have a friend who is a excellent old school mechanic, & he told me the seals in the tranny may not be sealing well when it's not warmed up & causing the cold shifting problem, so a I added a bottle of ATP AT-205. ($13 10 - 12oz. bottle, it's good on ALL rubber) I have had NO shifting problems with-in 20 miles of adding it! I have put 4 to 500 miles on it since, Shifts are firm & even chirps 2nd gear at full throttle on bone stock transmission, with a sure grip rear! This stuff seems to work excellent. I guess when winter weather comes around again I'll know for sure. I also tracked down the water leak to the seam on the passenger side rear of the cab where it meets the back of the cab. RTVed the seam up under the inner & outer panels behind the seat, & no more leak. It has been good for over 6 months now. It may be a problem for other Dakota owners as well. Check the floor under your carpet! You won't know unless you look. I caught mine in time & rust wasn't too bad. New carpet isn't installed yet because I want to be sure it's good to go, & I finish other interior stuff. Rockauto has a lot of parts for these 1st gen Dakotas.

I wanted to let anybody interested know that my tranny problem (518-46RH) is solved! A friend who is a transmission guy said it might just be the seals inside the tranny causing the problem, so I added a bottle ( 12-18? oz.) of ATP AT-205 additive & within 20 miles it fixed the problem! It has been shifting GREAT for 7 months now. No shifting problems in cold temps either. This stuff works good.

Back