• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

93 van 5.2 into 84 truck

64DartGt

Reaction score
I have a 93 van and I was wondering what all I needed to swap in order to put the fuel injected 318 and OD A518 into my 84 pickup?

Do you want to carb it or fuel inject it? I can give you all the in's & out's of doing the swap. You will need a trans crossmember from a 91-93 with a 518 Here's a pic of my RamCharger with a carbed 5.9 Mag

SAM_2934.jpg

SAM_2962.JPG

I have a CrewCab that I did a carbed 5.9 Mag /518 od into. My RC is getting a 518 soon. My 85 Shorty is getting a Mag/518 combo as soon as it gets home. I can help you get it fueled also

Carb on it is the easiest way. If your using A/C you use the Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap & use the original serpentine drive like me. Or On a non A/C application the Professional Products Crosswinds. Wiring for fuel either comes from a 92-93 D series w/Mag V8 or 92 Dak w/Mag V8. When you decide the direction I'll lay it out for you. Bob

I have about decided to run it as carbed if I do ditch the fuel injection will a regular electronic or points distributor work in the magnum engines? Also I know the OD is controlled by a button in my van but is it actually mechanically controlled or what do I have to do to make the overdrive work with the lack of computer?

To work your 3 pin 518 you can use toggle switches or a lock up kit from PATC. Put an electronic dist in it. Are you using A/C or planing to ?it makes a difference on your choice of intake. Bob

nah no AC for me I'm hoping maybe I can ebay the factory throttle body,fuel rails, and injectors for enough to buy a used intake.

Not running AC I am hoping to be able to ebay the fuel injection stuff off the engine to be able to get enough money to pay for a used intake.

Since you're not worried about A/C then You can use the Crosswinds intake. You save cash like that. You can still use the Denso alt by changing the pulley. You will need a trans crossmember from a 91-93 truck with a OD trans. All your original shift linkage will work. If you use the Mag exhaust manifolds you will need the trans dipstick tube from a 92-93 truck or use the van one & screw it to your core support like the van

I'm about as indecisive as brett farve lol. I have definitely decided to run it as carbed but am trying to make up my mind if I want to run the a518 or my A833 OD 4speed.

I have a 4speed but would need a bell housing. clutch and flywheel so I think I'm going to keep the 518 for now..

I read somewhere that you can run a mechanical fuel pump on a magnum is that true?

Asked a friend about it and he said all he did was use the cam snout off his 76 motor and I have the timing cover and everything off the motor thats in the truck so that shouldn't be a problem then.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help if it was a slant six I would know alot about it but with it being a newer v8 i dont know crap lol.

Your friend is full of crap. The Magnum cam snout is not long enough to put the fuel pump eccentric on because they were never intended for a mechanical fuel pump. That is why Hughes Engines sells the kit to do so. I bet your friend hasn't done this as many times as I have.

Yes, you need it.when you get your pulleys & brackets pull all of them from the same engine & keep all bolts & spacers. If you want to use the Denso alt off the donor van Get those brackets from a 90-92 van or truck with v belts & a Denso alt. Rob that piece of fuel line & clamp that you have to remove to get it off. You will use these to run your fuel line. Here's the 2 main brackets & the intake

SAM_3655.jpg

SAM_3363.JPG

I'm just going to run the alternator that's on my old 318 I don't remember is the balance on the magnum able to run the old belts or do I have to swap it as well? Right now I am 500 miles away from both engines and am just trying to buy all the parts I need so I can take a trip down and start working.

You can use your 318 Flywheel on the 5.2 Magnum. You can use all your belts pulleys brackets timing cover etc

Back