• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

93 dodge exhaust computer question

black gold

Reaction score
My dad has a 93 dodge 150 with 318 and I was wondering if there is a way to take off the cat converter and override the computer so it still runs right? I wish more people were on this forum.

All there is is the oxygen sensor right? Would it be fine if converter fell off?

How many O2s? Magnum engine or LA?

If it has 2 try removing the post cat and hanging it outside the frame and screw an old spark plug in the hole. Most up to 2k can use this trick as the post cat sensor only checks to see a difference from the first. So by hanging the sensor outside the pipe, with no cat the 2 sensors will see different readings.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many there are. It is a magnum. I haven't looked and I haven't found any information on it. What if it has 1. Thanks alot for the help.

If it only has one then it wont matter if convertor is removed I believe. The obd1 computers especially the first year magnum is so primitive, it probably could care less either way.

A 93 only has 1 O2 sensor, IIRC. That being the case, it won't know if the converter isn't there, and even if it did know, it won't do anything to compensate for it. It just monitors the content of the exhaust gas for emissions purposes and throws a check engine light if it's not happy with what it reads.

Well just to make sure, if it just dangles will it turn the check engine light?

It might. I can't remember what happened when I hung mine off the frame. I wound up using an O2 sim box after I made a few more changes.

Back