• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

89 d100 Power steering to manual swap

Littlered89

Reaction score
I have an 89 d100 with power steering, the bearings on the pump are shot and the input shaft seal leaks. I found a manual steering gear on line and it says it will fit an 87 2wd. Im guessing that means any D series in 87. I cant imagine there is but i feel i need to ask those who would know for sure.

Is there any reason that will not work on my truck?

If any info is needed let me know and i can find out what you might need to know.

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.

Does it have the pitman arm with it? The power and manual arms are usually different.

No it didnt. I guess i could pick one up if i needed to. I just wanted to check if it would bolt up to my frame and be in line where its supposed to be.

Thats the part. They also have a 4 inch input shaft.

I don't know and im not sure how to find out. This part says it will fit an 87 so i looked for the pitman arm for an 87 with manual steering and couldn't find anything, just power steering stuff.

Ok i just did some looking on my lunch break and found lmc truck has a manual gear box for 80-89

pn 56-1214-Z

I guess it should fit but the question i have now is about the pitman arm. I didn't know they were different. It doesn't give much info on the part or the spline count though.

Not sure if lmc has the answer for that either.
I know 82 to 93 is not an exact frame swap.

Ok. I can do a lot of stuff but knowing what will swap out is above me. Well thanks for the info so far.

I don't have an 89 parts book, but from the 86/87 manual, the pitman arm is different between manual and power.

1604064296417.png

Oh nice. What is thay book called so i can try to find one for the 89. That will give me stock part numbers and i can cross reference from there.

Have you tried your local Dodge dealer? They may not be able to get the part but at least you would have the part number if it was an available option.

Wow, no i didn't even think of that because the are generally more expensive. I will call around tonight.

If you get the Dodge part number any parts supplier should be able to look it up. Or just Google the part number and see what poops up.

All simple stuff i didn't even think about. Thanks a bunch ill see what i can come up with.

One more question to go along with this. Anyone know what all would need to be changed? I know the gearbox/pitman arm but what about the steering column and or drag link?

Didn't look at those parts, but the steering column in mine has an extender on it from the factory, may have to modify that for length? (Spitballing here)

No, it's power. I was just suggesting that there may be different length lower column pieces for man vs pwr.

Oh ok. Thank you. I just dont want to end up $700 into a $200 job.

Went back to the 86/87 parts book again. The columns are the same, but the lower column piece is different, that piece is about 15" long on pwr strg, not sure about manual. The pitman arm is different as already mentioned, so by that book it looks like three different pieces to do the swap. Gear, lower column, pitman. Interestingly they don't list a different lower column with a tilt wheel - I'm assuming a tilt wheel wasn't offered with manual strg. No guarantees this is accurate for 1990 model year, but I'd be willing to wager a small confectionary that it is. Good luck.

Back