• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

89 d100 motor swap issues

storms

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the 2wd truck scene I got an 89 d100 had a blown 3.9 v6 I pulled it and went to put the 360 in it and notice the mounts bolted to the crossmember so bolted the plates to the 360 mounts and that's when I smacked the valve covers off the fire wall and still have 4" before mounts line up it was my understanding that this truck had 3 motor options the 3.9, 318 or 360if any body else has done this swap any info would help greatly thanks

I just did this research for a Dakota but I don't see why it would be different for a Ram. On the Dakotas all 3 engines use the same engine mounts. I am a little confused but what you are saying though. Is the engine to far into the firewall and is 4 inches away from the mounts or connected to the tranny is the engine 4 inches to far forward?

What motor mount brackets are you using ? Are you using 360 brackets or are you trying to use the brackets from the V6 ? Yah they use the same mounts but not the same brackets .

What motor mount brackets are you using ? Are you using 360 brackets or are you trying to use the brackets from the V6 ? Yah they use the same mounts but not the same brackets .

they use different mounting locations on the frame as well as different block to frame mounts; all 3.9's came with Magnum style mounts and LA engines aren't a bolt in without all the proper v8 mounts

3.9's and all magnums use the flat mounting plate about center of the engine which is about 4-6 inches behind an LA mounting spot

magnum 318 and 360's have dual mounting plates for magnum and LA mounts

I'm using a LA block not a magnum after not being able to find the frame brackets I got out the plasma cutter and 1/4" plate to run from the v6 Frame mounts to the motor mounts thanks for the info it helped

I think I am going to have the same issue with my Dakota frame than. I have the mounts but I am not sure about this bracket you guys are talking about.

Back