• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

84 reverse light problems

68gtx

Reaction score
My backup lamps have never worked on my 84 , kinda want them to work now so I started to look into it , after I got sockets fixed and wiring back together got some. Results but nothing desirable , replaced switch on trans which is the 3 round pins style , reverse lights work in reverse , but they are also on in drive , 2nd and first , they go out in neutral and park , but are on in all other gears . Anyone have some insight on this ?. This truck was originally a manual trans and was converted to auto before I got it
, thanks in advance

Does the neutral safety switch work properly? Should only start in park or neutral. Test the two outside terminals on the switch for continuity in reverse with the 3 wire plug disconnected. There should only be resistance in reverse. The center terminal goes to the starter relay and grounds the relay when in park and neutral. The two outside terminals complete the backup light circuit.

When the conversion was done the 3 wire plug would have had to been added. Manual transmission used a 2 wire switch for reverse lights only. You will not have a mutural safety switch with the 2 wire plug in but will have reverse lights. The starter relay wire to the mutural safety switch will have to be grounded for the starter to work.

Back