• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

84 Prospector D250

Today me and the old boy Prospect, the Prospector, changed out the headlamps. Thought I had a short somewhere because both headlamps low beams went out at the same time, so I chased the wires, checked the ground, checked the fuse, checked the dimmer switch...and finally just bought new headlamps. Bingo... doggone it.

Removed the air filter housing and scrubbed it down getting rid of a lot of soot, residue, and wire brushed the rusty parts, painted it a satin black, and painted the air filter cover a Rustoleum Hammered Bronze. Looks pretty good, it's got some warts, but what the heck.

• Ordered the paint chip for the Autumn Bronze paint.
  • Ordered the new gauge faceplates for the dash and heater control unit.
  • Ordered the new led bulbs for the dash
  • Ordered an LED rope for the dash
  • Ordered a restoration kit for the needles
  • Ordered the speedometer cable attaching hardware

I figured if I'm taking the gauge cluster out to fix the speedometer, I might as well recondition them and improve the lighting so I can see the doggone things.

Still got to connect with what's his name and get that arm rest.

Found a place that makes the carpet inserts for the doors, eighteen bucks a piece, and that's not a bad price at all. That has to wait.

http://www.whitegauges.net/product_images/color_changes/lightwood.jpg

Went with the light wood since the dash has some light wood grain already, thought this was unusual and would be kind a cool,

In two weeks: Aircraft Stripper on the cab, doing some rustifications in areas, and rolling some Acrylic Polyurethane paint on the truck cab.

That's the plan. So far.

After buying the original hi/low horn combination that came with the truck, and buying a new grille, a nice spare tire bracket to mount inside the bed of the truck, cab lights, and the paint for the old Prospector truck, I lost it on black ice on a clear sunshiny day and put the truck into, and then onto, a guard rail. The guard rail kept me from tumbling down a bank into a river here in Indiana, but...

the Prospector is totaled.

The search begins for the heir apparent.

Damn black ice.

Aww maaan that suck's ! As long as "you" made it out OK . I know the "Old Prospector" meant a lot to you but you could build another one . But you yourself would be a little harder to rebuild . Are you thinking of building another one ? I hope you kept him so he could donate what's left to another build if you are .

I know that sad, sinking feeling. Mine was after I flipped my Studebaker a$$ over appetite and landed upsided down after swerving to miss a guy that had pulled out in front of us. But at least you came out alive and in one piece. After my ordeal, the wife and two daughters got hauled off on boards and braces around their necks. I busted the windshield out with my head and bent the top half of the steering wheel forward about 45 degrees with my chest. And other than being devastated seing my Hawk in the ditch upside down, I felt fine. My wife always told me I was hard headed. And while I don't think she meant literally, she was definately right. I learned one thing, when you roll a car and the kids are eating Dairy Queen Blizzards, you will be surprised at all of the places you find ice cream.

I know how you feel. someone sent the zoning board a complaint (unjustified) that my truck was unregistered & not running..The day i received the letter from cty. saying to fix within 10 days I had been to the court house (IN THE TRUCK) & parked in front where I'm sure the cameras caught it & I informed the cty of it.I was told that The reason was probably because it is old (86) & missing it's grill , If they had bothered to get out & look the inspector would have seen the CURRENT tag on the rear . (My state only uses 1) today it has aground problem, but it has been my daily driver since 1996 & I take it to other states as well . I also take it off road & on hunting trails even though it's a 2 wheel drive. Usually the naysayers drive what I call GMJunk (to their faces if they have insulted my Ram (I have hauled more than 5,000 lbs in bed more than once & also pulled a 28' Sea Ray , when it still had stock engine . was 318 now 343

Back