• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

84 Prospector D250

Prospect

Reaction score
1984 Dodge Ram D250 Prospector, .360, auto, a/c, cruise control, hooker headers, Edelbrock carb.

new grille and radiator support from a 1990 Dodge Ram, splint bench with fold down arm rest from a 1994 Dodge Ram, 17 inch rims from the same 1994, lift kit.

New AM/FM/HD/CD stereo with hard port.

Just put in a new AC/Delco alternator, 500 cold crank battery, and fusible link.

Looking for a Plymouth Roadrunner horn for the truck just for fun.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3911503/1984-dodge-d250-regular-cab

Welcome to the site "Prospect" ! Nice look'in truck ! I've got the 92/93 grill in my 84 to .

Welcome to the site "Prospect" ! Nice look'in truck ! I've got the 92/93 grill in my 84 to .

The original owner put it on. It's a Georgia Truck, very little rust, but I do have a rust issue on the cab at the top of the windshield. I took it to a local (northern Indiana) body shop in Pierceton...it was recommended by more than a few of my relatives, and I got mad as heck. The owner came out, a young kid in his early thirties, and asked my why my truck wasn't in the junkyard. I got in the truck and left. In the four years I've owned it, that old truck has been from Northern Indiana down to ATL about seven times, down to Indy a few times, and down to Dayton, Ohio and back at least twelve times. It's a little warty and old, but still performs dang well.

But I digress....I do need to take the grill off and make a repair...there's a small fracture that I'm going to have to stop drill then fill with JBWeld and sand down a bit. And I just found the DODGE emblem for the hood. And I need to get off my big butt and do some work on the interior...like add ARM RESTS that aren't torn, take off the door panels and dye them.... fix the speedometer. Small stuff.

New one gauge negative terminal battery cable from Tractor Supply (and another six gauge lawn mower cable for the headlight ground wire, two grounds, one post) and the old Prospect's ground problems are solved.

Next up: how to figure out what the heck the positive cables are doing... so many wires going different directions! lol.

And new spark plug cables.....

By the end of summer, I hope to have the bed sanded down, primered, and painted, and to fill in six holes on the hood where a hood scoop used to be, sand that, prime that and paint it. (I have to do this in stages, this paint the truck thing...so the wife doesn't figure out I'm painting the old truck..lol).

New one gauge negative terminal battery cable from Tractor Supply (and another six gauge lawn mower cable for the headlight ground wire, two grounds, one post) and the old Prospect's ground problems are solved.

Next up: how to figure out what the heck the positive cables are doing... so many wires going different directions! lol.

And new spark plug cables.....

By the end of summer, I hope to have the bed sanded down, primered, and painted, and to fill in six holes on the hood where a hood scoop used to be, sand that, prime that and paint it. (I have to do this in stages, this paint the truck thing...so the wife doesn't figure out I'm painting the old truck..lol).

Lol just slap another hood scoop on it!

So... we're getting a new roof on the old three story brownstone house, and I got up early and went out to the old Prospector (gotta come up with a nickname for the old boy) and opened up the hood and spent an hour on grease removal. A lot of old grease and road tar on the inner fenders, and up on the hood.

Looking to start the body work prepping for the paint job sometime next week. I've got one big dent on the driver's side of the bed to pull out, and some surface rust to prep out. Bought some Aluminum Chassis Saver

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=hRvjjXnZqae36M&tbnid=S1_1_vW2uDvyLM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shop.monstaliner.com%2FChassis-Saver-Silver-Aluminum-1-Gallon-UCP934-01.htm&ei=yIz2UfSqI-KQyQGLh4CgCw&bvm=bv.49784469,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNGO47V4Sxc7DTFSUG11tZtilR6Oog&ust=1375198784942403

and we'll go from there. Since I'm used to painting this the same way I've painted airplanes and helicopters, I'm tipping and rolling this paint on my own, and not spraying.

Is there a project thread to post the progress photos, or should I just do it here? I'm doing it here I think.

Last edited:
We do have a restoration thread but as far as I'm concerned you can do it here if you want . I personally would like to see the progress either way .

We do have a restoration thread but as far as I'm concerned you can do it here if you want . I personally would like to see the progress either way .

I saw something strange on Youtube about pulling dents, and I have a few dents, one big one and a few dings. It isn't a show truck, it's a go truck, so it'll have them.

Anyway....I actually, successfully, and with an audience from some of the ladies at the Retired Tigers from down the alley...(and believe me, they were laughing) pulled out a few dents with...get this...

a bathroom plunger.

I'll be damned if it doesn't work. The big one...I'm going to have to have someone take a small hammer and tap down the crown, but it is getting smaller.

a bathroom plunger. I'm flush with bewilderment, but a hit with the retired ladies...:rockon:

Yah , That's an old school trick . I've messed some people up before when I've done that in front of them . You'll find that it works even better if you wet the panel first .
I saw something strange on Youtube about pulling dents, and I have a few dents, one big one and a few dings. It isn't a show truck, it's a go truck, so it'll have them.

Anyway....I actually, successfully, and with an audience from some of the ladies at the Retired Tigers from down the alley...(and believe me, they were laughing) pulled out a few dents with...get this...

a bathroom plunger.

I'll be damned if it doesn't work. The big one...I'm going to have to have someone take a small hammer and tap down the crown, but it is getting smaller.

a bathroom plunger. I'm flush with bewilderment, but a hit with the retired ladies...:rockon:

That color should go good with your tan interior .

That color should go good with your tan interior .

Thinking about replacing the black carpet (only four years old, btw) with a burnt orange carpet, or dark chocolate brown carpet.

But yeah, the almond/offwhite cab will save me some major work inside the cab.

I still need those arm rests... and a window latch for the vent window, and.... a cruise control module... and..

money.

I still got the arm rest . I should have the window latch , as long as you still have the 84 doors on it . But if they swapped the doors with the truck that they took the grill off of then I'd have to check . There different after 90 . The cruise control I think I have . As for the cash ? I'm all out of that . lol My wife just found out how much I spent on the paint for the Dart and she's not to happy . lol
Thinking about replacing the black carpet (only four years old, btw) with a burnt orange carpet, or dark chocolate brown carpet.

But yeah, the almond/offwhite cab will save me some major work inside the cab.

I still need those arm rests... and a window latch for the vent window, and.... a cruise control module... and..

money.

Yesterday I did some basic maintenance on the truck, fluid levels, changed the oil and oil filter, and bought a air hose reducer for about fifteen bucks at Autozone so my air hose didn't flop around like a long black eel in the engine compartment. It had been "secured" in place by some zip ties, but wasn't effective, so I went out and did it right.

Removed the dash to try to see why the speedo doesn't work, and found out there were several parts missing to the speedo line. Two grommets and the clip are missing, the old owner just rammed the speedometer cable into the speedo without those things. No one knew what I was talking about at Autozone or Napa, so I found them online for about six bucks total.

Checked the windshield wiper motor and took a look at the wiper bushings and you guessed it mine are crud. NAPA part #: 665-1537 . Won't change them out until I get a new wiper motor.

But, I did do some good things to the truck. It's not in the restoration stage yet, just tidying up some maintenance.

Now to figure out why the stereo blinks in and out...off and on. I think there's a loose line there somewhere, now to chase it.

So:

Fluid levels...check
Engine oil...check
oil filter...check
new air hose reducer...check
new wiper motor bushings ..check.
new speedometer parts...soon to come.

not a bad day.

How the old Prospector looked the day I bought him... (can't call the truck a her..the wife says I can't get into another woman..)

Last edited:
Researching headliners to replace the one that's MIA on the old Royal SE Prospector, and came across this...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dashtop-highliner-headliner/p2023838.jcwx?filterid=d50224y1984g2j1

And it's made for our FIRST GEN RAMS! :rofl:

Man, I am so going to have to work overtime to get the wife to agree to buy that! I'd replace the ten watt speakers with alpines, and DEFINITELY put a CB in that thing.

Paint it to match the interior...and bingo bango.... what a cab!

spacer.gif

Last edited:
Back