• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

84 Dodge Ram D 100 8.25 width

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

This is my first post in here. I've been looking at an 84 Dodge Ram D 100 short box and I was wondering how wide the rear ends are at the flanges. It may need a tougher 8.75 if I put a 320 - 400 hp 360 in it.

The only 8 3/4 that will fit your truck that's a direct bolt in is from a 61-74 truck the majority with a 741 small pinion case
I've only seen the better cases (742/489) in 4wd's with SureGrip
A 9.25 from a 75-84 2 wd is easier
If you have to have the 8 3/4 I find them looking for old pickup bed trailers. The most I've paid so far for one is $250 & the only reason I paid that much is because the bed & tailgate & Adventurer trim were flawless
Usually I pay between$50 & 125 for one
An A-body 8 3/4 will sit on top of the springs & with widening the tubs a little & a 12" wide wheel makes for a cool combo (aka Cheap Pro Street)

Thanks for the info. Now that I think of all of this it's all kind of funny. My good friend just sold an old 62 Dodge truck with an 8.75 in it for $500. I have a 69 Dart that I'm fixing up that I just bought an 8.75 for although there's no way I'd switch that for a truck. To find a 9.25 sounds like a much easier task. I thought a truck would be very cool to have to bomb around in because I can't do that every day in the Dart. 1979-dodge-d100-pickup-way-kool.jpg Something like this 79 I like very much too. Plus trucks are a lot easier and cheaper to fix than old muscle cars.

1979-dodge-d100-pickup-way-kool.jpg

Last edited:
I do the cars for the $$$$ Whereas a nice looking Dodge truck makes me feel warm& fuzzy inside That's why I own 7 trucks & 2 RamChargers

LOL. I'd never give up my Dart but I do think those Dodge short beds are very cool. Maybe after the Dart is finished I'll try to find a 73-80 Dodge truck.

They are great trucks. Just got my 81 stepside so my 87 has to go. I have a feeling my 81 RAM will be done and restored well before my Dart haha.

I ran an 8 1/4 sure grip for 3 years behind a 375 hp, that may be a little under hp, I ran 8.0 1/8 mile
and my best pass was a 7.37. Did you get the measurements you needed ?

The 8 3/4 from the 60's to 74 is a bolt in swap. The availability of the center section is not a concern as the various centers are all interchangable within the 8 3/4 housing from any car or truck made after 65. Personally I'd say the 741 case, while somewhat weaker than a 742 or a 489 is still no slouch. It's MUCH stronger than the 8 1/4, and again just swap it for another chunk if you feel that it's iffy.
Your 84 should have the factory 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern axles on the 8 1/4. I think it was 85 that they changed to 5 inch BP. The brakes, drums and backing plates from the 8 1/4 will work if it is the smaller bolt pattern. Another trick I used on an 87 was the 72-74 W 100 4x4 8 3/4 rear axle which came from the factory with the FIVE INCH rear pattern. It's rare but it's a bolt in swap on the 85-92 full size Dodge trucks with 5 on 5 pattern!
I have the 4 1/2 BP 8 3/4 housing and axles from a 66-72 Dodge truck for $200. I can bring them to Carlisle in July or ship them in the US for $95. The Canadian shipping might be harder to do.
Good Luck!

The guy sold the truck to someone else. It's a good thing because I've got too much on my plate right now with my new garage and my Dart. It would have been cool to have a little truck though :) Thanks for the bother Greg.

Last edited:
Back