• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4 rearend for 81 d-150

Dan Brooks

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there's an 8 3/4 rearend that will fit up under my 81 d-150? I've seen them under other trucks but wondered if maybe an A/B body might fit exactly in there and bolt up to my factory springs as well. Currently it has the factory 6 cylinder unit. Thanks

Only one from a truck will bolt in. The ones from a C-body are very close in width but the spring perches are on the opposite side of the axle tube between cars and trucks. So unless you're good with replacing perches or you're gonna dick with lowering the truck, find one from a truck.

I had one from a 69 truck in my 79
The 318s and 360sused the same rear end as the "6 cylinder unit".
Trucks that were built while the 8-3/4 was current production with a 6 in them also got 8-3/4 units in them back then also.
I think by the 80s about any truck that wasn't trailer tow package equipped and wasn't 4wd all got the 8-1/4.
All available gear ratios we're available with any engine those years too.

I bought an 8 3/4 that came out of a 68 D100 at the N. GA Swap meet for $25, and plan to put it in my 88 D100. Measurements are the same as the 9 1/4 that's in the 88 now. Bolt pattern is different, but I will just swap the front brake rotors to get it all the same. Like was said above, a C body or E body rear end will work fine if you get a new set of spring perches and weld them on top of the axle tubes. The Mopar Performance spring perches are like $15.

71 and up B body will also work but have the same spring perch problem. The proper truck housing will be the most economical way to go. B & E body housing can get real expensive.

9 1/4? stronger than 8 3/4 and plentifull. Heavy duty 1/2 tons with 318's used 9 1/4 for years. Mid 70's thru mid 80's for sure

The bolt pattern change is a simple axle swap. If you find a sure grip unit with the wrong bolt pattern.

Back