• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

79 Little Red....with a twist

catfish774

Reaction score
Howdy all, this thread will be a slow one. Just bought a 79 Lil Red and it will need full resto. Stored for 15 years is has not had an easy life. But it is solid, after buying it I drove it 2000 miles from the point of purchase (TN back to TX via VA).
Only trouble I had was the classic Dodge charging system trouble. Remedied by replacing all of the electrical/charging components in the parking lot of the Advanced Auto Parts Store in Hattiesburg, MS.
Yeah, I know......already removed those awful running boards and the visor is next.
Tentative plan is a basic Lil Red resto, but the twist is going to be the driveline. Removing the E58 360 package and trans, replacing it with the 413 wedge/cross ram set up. And a more modern OD tranny, to enjoy some better fuel economy and drive-ability on the highway.
Things may change as we move along but those are my plans. Here are some pics:
photo(1).JPGphoto(6).jpgphoto.jpg413crossram.jpg
Keep those Dodge Truck rolling!

photo(1).JPG

photo(6).jpg

photo.jpg

413crossram.jpg

Let me the first to welcome you to the site catfish ! NICE lil red ! It look's like your starting with a good solid foundation there . I'm with you on those running boards and visor . Every time I get a truck with those boards , the first thing I do is rip them off . I like your choice in motors as well . I just showed my wife what you were planning on putting in there and she said with a big smile "HELL YAH !" . LOL That's one of her favorite truck's and definitely her favorite motor and intake set up . She had a lil red way back when that we had put a 440 in it for her . Believe it or not after we put the 440 in hers we got better fuel millage with twice the power over the 360 . Now we can't wait to start playing with my 440 Warlock . .. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress .

Beautiful engine, kind of a shame to stuff it under a hood where it can't be seen. That would be kind of like hanging the Mona Lisa where she faced the wall and couldn't be seen. Except your 413 is much better looking than Mona. Finding a good solid body is the way to go, much easier and less expensive to oup up an engine than do loads of body repairs. Good luck with your project.

Is that the correct hood? My brother once owned a '79 4X4 and I thought it had a hood like the 72-78's. Maybe I'm wrong, he did own three other Dodges of that era and I might be thinking of them.

79-80 used a flat hood like a 81-93 72-78 used what is called a "BirdBath Hood"

The stacks are turned wrong though & yes those running boards have got to go

I broke down in Hattiesburg once myself

79-80 used a flat hood like a 81-93 72-78 used what is called a "BirdBath Hood"

The stacks are turned wrong though & yes those running boards have got to go

I broke down in Hattiesburg once myself

I turned my exhust tips like that to keep suet from blowing out on the fenders.

Back