• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

79 F-250 Rad replacement

Jsross59

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, I have a 79 F-250 with a 460ci, does anyone here have any experience with Aluminum radiators? Old school vs Aluminum? Is it worth going Aluminum and electric fans for a 79 with factory air? I need to replace my factory setup soon.
Also, I've been seeing quite a few vendors selling electric water pump replacements? Any advice on that?
Thanks to anyone piping in with advice.
JR

Is the engine stock or modified? The aluminum usually have bigger tubes because the metal is stronger than the copper/brass. Aluminum with electric fans would be good, you need a lot of cfm though. Skip the electric water pump, I don't know if the gpm flow is good enough for street driving. One of my customers has a 86 Chevy K20 with a hot 468 BB chevy, he had us change his radiator out to a aluminum with dual fans. Seems to work pretty well, great on the street and keeps it around 200 if he is playing on the sand dunes

The truck is bone stock, unmolested and only 77k original miles. It has the 460ci, my reason for questioning aluminum vs copper/brass for cooling. I need to at least get the Rad changed and figured I'd do water pump, hoses, belts, valve cover gaskets and possibly an eldebrock carb instead of the factory Holley on it, while things are apart.
Thanks for the info

If stock has worked this long, why change it to something else? I have seen to many problems created because someone thought they needed better for no reason at all.

Copper/brass, unfortunately is less and less available even for older vehicles that came that way.
On my 80s dodge trucks they (radiator suppliers) are telling me all I can get anymore is a Toyota -ish plastic/aluminum POS. My son went thru 3 of those in his 90W250, with a 360 gas engine.
None cooped as well as the original one did before it started leaking.
They tried to sell me a toyota-ish POS for my 78 fury as well, I decided to go with a 3 row champion all aluminum. I ain't putting plastic in a place that wasn't plastic to begin with. That champion does the job, just gotta be careful to hang on to your tools and not let them hit the fan as they love to deflect into the radiator.... On another of my son's trucks(89 ramcharger) I did exactly that... Dropped a small screwdriver, fan kicked it right into his new champion radiator....

Back