• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

78 macho build

macho781988

Reaction score
got a silver 78 macho, im rebuilding a 360 and want to run a 5 spd and keep my 4wd, going to a part time version would be cool tho.

wat 360 builds have you guys done? i want some power but ill be upgrading to 4.11s with 33s cause i want it for a toy and to tow a trailer.

pics, specs, vids would be great. and a list of transmissions bsides the nv4500 that will have bellhousings that will bolt up.

I use Magnum heads & Crosswinds intake they bump the compression a point & some change & you utilize the 1.6 rockers or cheap Chevy roller rockers if you choose or just put the Magnum 360 in it.

i have a set of j heads, but the aluminum magnums would be cool i want a magnum 360 or even a 318 and run the efi, but my macho was bought all original with the correct date coded 360 so can i run my 78 block with the top end of a mag?

78dodgemachobuildday1bringhomeday.jpg

I didn't recognized your username , my brother has one just like it except its a 77 , cool truck

yeah i like it, but it likes to be funny, it sounds like a tractor at idle right now, and i just got an auto meter fuel sending unit and fuel gauge. i really wanna runa fuel cell in the back cause my tank isnt the cleanest and it clogs the filter really fast

ok so its been along time since i made a post, that happens since i dont take many pics of my build up. but, i didnt discover that tractor sound is actually a clogged intake so a muscle motors cleaning later its running on all 8 like its suposed to again. bought headers, wouldnt stay tight, didnt fit ripped em off and put manifolds back on. got a 16 gallon fuel cell half way mounted in now after months of trail and error due to work and money. i do have a question tho, does anyone know how to build an exhaust that goes from the manifolds down and straight back? since i removed the gas tank and mounted my cell i want my exhaust to exit in front of the tires on both sides. does any one know exactly how to do it or wat to use or is it a doomed trip and a million dollars at the exhuast shop?

Well, I guess I'll try this again after the d&mn thing locked up the first time. I have 5 photos and I'll try sending them in two tries. The quality might not be so hot because I have greatly reduced the file size because of dial up. These are on my '77 short bed parts truck. The left side exited in front of the rear wheel and the right behind the wheel.SANY2864_003.jpg

SANY2866_002.jpg

SANY2858_004.jpg

SANY2864_003.jpg

Well, I guess I'll try this again after the d&mn thing locked up the first time.  I have 5 photos and I'll try sending them in two tries.  The quality might not be so hot because I have greatly reduced the file size because of dial up.  These are on my '77 short bed parts truck.  The left side exited in front of the rear wheel and the right behind the wheel.View attachment 2596 

i have a set of j heads, but the aluminum magnums would be cool i want a magnum 360 or even a 318 and run the efi, but my macho was bought all original with the correct date coded 360 so can i run my 78 block with the top end of a mag?
yes you can. It's quite popular, but finding heads that don't have cracked valve guides? Is a nightmare

wow, i can not believe how many ppl run these trucks with the exhaust that close the gas tank, but i have an unusal exhaust preference and i want it to be 2 1/2 that expands to 3 inch behind the cross member and exits in front of the back tire, so i guess its an exhaust shop trip but since i have my mufflers and the tools do all the work for them i think its only worth about 150 bucks but ill wait and see.

Maybe I missed something but if you mounted a fuel cell and got rid of your stock tank then were is the problem on how to run the exhaust ? Oh yah by the way , you wont be able to run a 2 1/2" pipe off your manifold . It wont fit threw the exhaust flange . You'll have to start off small then go up to the 2 1/2 right away .

the exhaust has to wrap around the tcase but i decided to run it under the cross member instead for the time being, yeah i got the flanges but idk if the shop can work with them or make their own or not. im waiting a call back later this afternoon. just gonna have to suck it up and haul the truck down there and have em check it out and go yeah we can or no we cant but lets throw some ideas out there. just have to suck it up, load her up on the trailer and go with it. ah well due to work shcedules imma see about within the next 2 weeks or so rather than a week. my boss tosses my work scehdule differently every week

btw theres my cell mounts so far, i know they look like crap and why are they square and well its simple 16 gallons of gas weighs 100 pounds, and the square tubing will hold that up easier and yes i do have straps that will run across the top of the fuel cell. and itll all be painted as with this part of the frame when i get it all set up.

Back