• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

78 dodge custom 150 318 automatic wiper motor acting up

Rude Robert

Reaction score
Hi I am on my phone right now my issue is that my wiper bushings broke and I replaced them all. I had them working with out the arms on and they were working then stopped. When I moved them a little they would make 1 revolution then stop and I would do the same thing and they would make one more revolution and stop. Is this a sign of perhaps dirty contacts or a bad motor, thank you for your suggestions Robert

I am thinking that I may need to buy a new Motor for it, I don't know what kind of issues I will have in installing it and or hooking up the wires. Has anyone ever replaced in old motor for the wipers before?

I would take it apart and lube the motor bushings and check the brushes first. Did you grease the nylon arm bushings before installing them on the pins? It only takes a little lithium.

run an extra ground wire from the motor to the firewall.

Yes there is a factory ground. But I had one that quit working, even after cleaning it. Only after adding a second ground did the motor work

Well thank you for all your suggestions, I am sorry that I haven't posted my update because as soon as I managed to get it fixed I started having another issue. I cleaned the ground and with me getting older it is getting harder to get back there but I managed with a 2x6 going across so that I can lay on the engine to reach. I didn't work so I just went ahead and ordered another one from partsgeek and I was a royal pain in the butt to put back together lol. It would have been easier to pull the hole darn brake stuff off and I almost had to. There is no room to get that one bolt back in that behind the brake booster. I have never removed one and I really wasn't wanting to either lol. I put 2 of the factory bolts back but that one that is by the booster there was no way it was going. I had a smaller bolt, nut and washer that slide down into the factory nut that is welded on the body. It was hard enough to get that in, so I prayed as i was in pain from down this all day and I was shown to get some dental floss and feed it down the hole and tie it around my new bolt set up and gently pull it up. It took some doing and a screw driver to help to move my bolt in different direction as i was pull the floss up lol. I had all the tools set up and there was no way that I can put the nut and the washer on by myself so I went and asked a guy down the street and in 5 minutes it was done. It is working again

Back