• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

77 D150 rear drum brake squeek

71Fishy

Reaction score
Guys
Have a newly (5000 mile) restored 77 D150 with a 440/727/dana drive train. It has a disc/drum set up. My issue seems to be with the right rear brake. When I first start driving, it squeals excessively when stopping at a sign. After driving for a few minutes it goes away. Does not make noise while driving, only when I try to stop and only when first driving (if the truck sits for a few minutes I don't have this problem, but if it sits all day it happens when I first apply the brakes in the morning and when I first apply the brakes in the evening). I've looked at the return spring, adjuster, emergency cable, drum, and pads and all seem to be fine. I've checked the fluid level and the level is about an inch from the top of the master cylinder in both reservoirs. Any idea what could be causing this? Starting to aggrevate the neighbors in the morning... I did not do the restoration, so unfortunately don't have any more info on parts. Could it possibly be the proportioning valve is the wrong one?

Thanx for the help

First thought was shoes are getting dirty. Proportioning valve would effect both rears not just the one.

When did you check the affected brake? An 8 hour period appears long enough to create the squeak. Try checking after it sets.

I checked them first thing in the morning after the truck had set all night (when the noise is most noticeable). Cleaned everything, adjusted, check cable tension, and return springs along with the shoes. All seemed to be "normal" and not showing any excessive wear. With only 6000 miles on the truck, they looked as expected. Could the drum be out of round causing the issue?

I am guessing the shoes were changed when the truck was restored. I would try a different brand shoe. The thing I see most often with rear shoe noise is on old used shoes with a lot of miles, they will absorb moisture and either grab or squeal when first applied and after they dry out are ok. Changing them makes everything better.
My plow truck is horrible after plowing a while, you would swear they are metal to metal. The shoes are just saturated with moisture

do they make ceramic shoes? I have had ceramic front pads that are harder than OEM and squeal..

Thanks guys. I cleaned the minimal amount of dust there was when I pulled the drum. Return spring and adjuster both appeared to operate normally and looked new. I'll try new shoes and see if that "cures" the issue.

Did you check the shoe arch. They may need nothing but some heavy braking to wear the high spots off. Warm them up a little and see what happens.

Drums can be checked on a drum lathe. No reason to buy more. But being this only happens when cold. I really don't think it a drum problem.

Back