• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

'75 w200 custom "Can I put duals (wheels) on the rear of this truck?

superslant

Reaction score
Hey there, I have this neat w200 pickup that was originally from Oregon so its pretty clean. Does have some bumps and bruises though. Anyways I have a nice flatbed I plan to put on it and found a set of duelly rims on k-bid that I would sure like to put on the back if it isnt to difficult. Wondering what kind of mods I would need to do, if any. Can I run the stock steelie front wheels still? One issue is the truck has a manual trans. with the all time 4x4 transfer case. If you could tell me a little more about the different transfer cases also that would help alot as I would like to swap this out so I can run this thing in 2wd. Thanks alot and keep on truckin'.

they sell dual wheel adapter kits for what your are looking to do.... the factory rear you have wont have the correct size studs or length to just bolt them on... yes you can keep your front steelies just make sure when you get tires the tire height matches the front and rear!!! as far as your truck being all time 4x4 thats not just in the transfer case the front axle doesnt have a way to disengage the hubs so even if you switch transfercases the front axle is still turning... the t-case you have now is a NP203 if you wanted to go thru the trouble to make it part time 2wd/4wd you will need the trans-t-case adapter for a np435(thats what your 4-speed trans is) to 205/208/241 t-case those are the part time cases. you can use the 205 which is a cast iron gear to gear case. the 208/241 are basically the same case,they are aluminum and chain driven. these 2 cases offer a better low range than the 205. now as for the front axle i would be looking for a front axle from a 1980-1984 dodge w200-250 series as these offer lockout hubs. stay away from the 1985 and newer axles with the vacuum disconnect to operate the hub function.

Thanks. Lots of good info there. Sounds like a bit of a pain to get the truck to run in 2wd. More than its worth probably. I found these adapters on ebay. Is this the sort of thing I would need to run the duals?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Lug-Dodge...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5890e5e77b&vxp=mtr

Then also I purchased just the rims so do they just bolt together or do I need some sort of kit for that also. I am unfamiliar with the setup I guess. Probably could do some searching and find out but alot easier to just ask sometimes. Again thanks for all the good info.

you don't need to switch transfercase's to run dual wheels, you do however have to cover the outside wheels if you do put them on, also those cheap aluminum spacers are not the answer, buying the correct rear end for a dually is the best option and switching the gears from yours to it to match the front

Back