• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 w200

74w200

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first time over here from forabodiesonly. com . a 73 duster was my first vehicle and I still have it and did a part by part restoration of it. It's time I feel to up the ante, I'm doing a frame off Dodge pu.

The truck: 74 w200 long Ben single cab 360 205 auto truck.

Parts truck: 89 w100 single cab moonroof 360 np435 203 A/C shortbed no title.

The end result plan is, which may change if I have a better plan or you do is:
74 w200 360 np 435 203 modified to not have full time and + gear vendors behind it. I plan to take the cab from the 89 aswell to have a moonroof and all a/C...

I will definitely take advise, and hopefully parts sourcing aswell! Thanks guys!

14574954739171193383017.jpg

1457495605297-345699046.jpg

Welcome aboard fellow FABO member! Looks like young have a good plan of action for your truck.

Welcome to FTO ! Sounds like a good build . Are you going keep 79/80 grill or swap it back to a 74 ?

Two quick questions ( I Know I'm full of them lol ) . #1 You know that the transmission tunnel is smaller in the auto truck, Correct ? #2 Why do you want to keep the granny gear and the add a gear venders ?

I'll be using the manual cab so the tunnel should work smoothly... And the gear vendors primarily for overdrive gear after 4th. Bring the rpms down save a little gas. As far as the granny gear, I have always liked them, make getting off the line uphill with a loaded trailer a breeze!

I understand bringing the rpms down but the gear vendor runs about $3000. How many miles you anticipate putting on the finished product?

That is a very good question. Im planning on making the truck my daily driver once finished. If it were to be a dump runs and firewood truck then the non of would work for me but my plan is a little different for it I guess.

To really answer your question though I put about 15k annually on my daily driver at the point.

My guess is present milage maybe about 10 mpg, with overdrive if with it will get 15 mpg at 15000 miles per year with gas at $2 per gallon would save $1000 per year that would require 3 years min to recope the cost of just the OD unit minis other parts.
This looks like a long term investment for a vechical before any financial return. But I do understand there are other returns here that are more instant.
I have pondered this one myself but just do not see it on a vechical driven presently less than 5000 per year.

Been working on more tear down today and wire wheeling. ( the whole time wire wheeling it I'm thinking I should just get it blasted... But I kept going and only have a little left)

1458092888151-1513356483.jpg

I'll be using the manual cab so the tunnel should work smoothly... And the gear vendors primarily for overdrive gear after 4th. Bring the rpms down save a little gas. As far as the granny gear, I have always liked them, make getting off the line uphill with a loaded trailer a breeze!
Then why not use a transmission like a 5 speed even an A833 style 4 speed ( The one where 4th is an overdrive ) . And if your swapping axles from the 89 ,put locking hubs on it . Then if you need a low low gear just shift the T case into low . Same thing if you wanted to go automatic . Use a 518 transmission with a 241 case and locking hubs . I bet either one of those would be cheaper & easier . Just a thought .

I'm thinking I may go with a Cummins diesel swap now that a local old timer wants to sell me one... The engines are expensive so I'm not sure yet but it's an option.
I have been making slow progress on the chassis but I now have it all clean and painted with por 15.
As many other married people can relate to, my wife is suddenly jealous of all the time I spend in the garage withe the project...
Does anyone know if the Cummins 12 valve will mount to my frame? because I know that the trucks didn't change until after the Cummins diesel engine was added. If not I have a welder, it would just be sweet if they bolt up.

I'm thinking I may go with a Cummins diesel swap now that a local old timer wants to sell me one... The engines are expensive so I'm not sure yet but it's an option.
I have been making slow progress on the chassis but I now have it all clean and painted with por 15.
As many other married people can relate to, my wife is suddenly jealous of all the time I spend in the garage withe the project...
Does anyone know if the Cummins 12 valve will mount to my frame? because I know that the trucks didn't change until after the Cummins diesel engine was added. If not I have a welder, it would just be sweet if they bolt up.
Sorry , Haven't done a diesel swap yet . I do plan on one in the future but I haven't gotten as far in the research to say for sure what the mounts are like . I think there's a member here that's done it . I just can't remember who at the moment .

Find a diesel frame, running gear and stick your W200 body on it. You will be way ahead. Heavier frame, spring and steering gear. Not to mention larger drive line components. Not trying to discharge you but I think you will find this method much cheaper to diesel power.

I completely understand and agree with your buy a diesel rig point of view. The only thing is anywhere close to me the trucks are worth an arm and leg. I wish we had East coast prices!

I plan to box the frame and as soon as I find one buy a Dana 60 for the front to replace the 10 bolt Chevy...

Got the chassis rolling again. Next steps are to put new brake lines in and fuel system ( I'm thinking dual saddle tanks . taking apart the 79 today to sell the engine and start getting the cab off shortly.

I have a Cummins diesel lined up from a local old timer. He got many from Florida wrecking yards he ran back in the day. The 2 he has left have under 5k miles on the from wrecked/salvaged trucks.

Still working on a nv4500 setup, I have one wrecking yard that has one for 3.5 pretty pretty Penny's so I'm taking my time for the hunt.

I cannot wait to mount the drivetrain and give extensive details and pictures of the mounts as I can't find anything on it online! But that's a couple months or more from now.

1459449294349-1254981987.jpg

I'd check with Indy ( Secret Indy ) , I think he's done this swap . He's a really good guy and very knowledgeable . I think he would have some good input for a diesel swap if that's what your thinking about .

Ok so I fell off the forum for a bit. But I have made a bit of progress and will share it with you guys... I ended up changing gears and went with member 7mopar (s) advise.

Found a beat up 92 w250 Cummins nv4500 truck for the price of the running gear.

Cut a foot off each side of the radiator core support and welded on 74 year headlight sheet metal to replace the square headlights with round headlight buckets.

Took the Dana 60 out of the front ( 4 linked that into our crawler project) . Put a Dana 61 in the front of the truck. Also replaced the 14 bolt rear end with a limited slip 70.

Did crossover steering in the front. Just for the record if someone is planning on doing this. Your truck must be lifted for the added cross over steering tube to make it under the engine cradle without bending it. Also if doing this to a 4wd truck you must move the steering box to the 2wd position which is very easy to do as the holes are drilled for it already. This is necessary because in 4wd position the pitman arm(?) will hit your frame. Check for cracks in your frame, as mine and so many others are broken there. I boxed and sleeved the frame right there for additional support. Don't bother looking for the premade frame boxing kit, as I did and could never find it.
If you need the parts for doing a crossover I got mine from WFO concepts here in northern California where my brother in law works. Every part was correct.

Then added a 72 bed and 74 doors, grill, and fenders.

Lot of body work.
Paint.

Still plenty of little things to tackle but progress is being made on my learning curve.

Back