• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 D200 Question

moparker

Reaction score
Looked at a d 200 this week. Factory 440 auto,dana with 58000 miles. Under hard acceleration from a dead stop the truck shuddered really bad. It also made noise in reverse. My buddy thinks these came with a 2 piece drive shaft and could be the carrier bearing and or u joints. A coworker thinks it could be the torque converter. What do you guys think? Under normal acceleration it was fine.

A lot of the long beds have a two piece drive line. There is a cross member mounted carrier bearing that sometimes needs replaced. I believe your year of 440 was externally balanced so counter weights on the TQ could have come off. That usually causes a shudder almost all the time under load. All that said, it could also be spring wrap and/or wheel hop. Need to inspect the entire drive line. A PITA but not difficult. Good luck. Mike

Would the carrier bearing cause all that? It was like an earthquake. The wheels didn't break loose so I don't think it was wheel hop. The spring rap makes sense. He wants 3500.00 for it. The ignition has issues as well. Has a small amount of rust above both rear wheel wells. I couldn't come close to 35 with all that. I'll give him a week or two and see if he is ready to move on the price. Thanks for the info! Mike

How rare a truck is this do you guys think? No A/C ps pb AM/FM. iT IS AN Adventurer sport. Green with a white painted roof.

well I have 3 dodge trucks here ranging from 1976 to 1979 and none have a two piece drive shaft

maybe 1974 was common for it but I highly doubt it. pretty sure the club cab was the only ones to see it. mine have a 318 400 and 440 engines with automatic trans and 2wd regular cab long wheelbase

I was kinda thinking whether or not it had a 2 piece drive shaft was dependent on what trans or transfer case it had in it but I am NOT 100% on that.

I was kinda thinking whether or not it had a 2 piece drive shaft was dependent on what trans or transfer case it had in it but I am NOT 100% on that.

4wd had one piece; 2wd with automatic (regular cab) had one piece

the only ones I'm not sure of is club cab and standard ones

I decided to pass on the truck. Just a shame this guy just drove the balls off in the winter also. Previous owner even went to look at it and was disgusted by the condition now verses when he had it. It's not that bad overall except undercarriage is pretty rusty.

ClubCabs & CrewCabs are the only ones with two piece drive shafts (carrier style) 2 or 4WD
That shudder could be low on fluid or clogged filter?
If it's rust free original paint D code with it's 440 in decent shape it's probably worth $3500
Build sheets & original paper work are a great help
What color is the interior?

Interior is green. Pretty good shape. I really liked the truck. The PO said tanny needed rebuilt when he sold it. I really don't need a project at this point. Winter puts a damper on everything.

Back