• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 club leftover parts build - couple questions

sefus

Reaction score
Just finished a 20 year build on a dart swinger which of course got upgraded throughout the years before it ever ran. After the Sniper EFI install I seemed to have a bunch of leftover parts. The other thing I have leftover is a 74 club cab Adventurer 2wd, drum brake, 318 727. It was my high school truck and got parked at my parents with a leaking rear main. So now I decided to tow it out to the shop and dig in to make it a proper (weird since its a club cab) muscle truck. Back in the day the heads got a stock rebuild and probably don't have 1000 miles on them so I'm going to stick with them for now. Leftover from the dart build I have a full MSD set up with 6AL, distributor, coil, timing control, wires, etc. Also have a new air gap and a new Edel 650. Bought a 425 lift comp cam and need to pick up some headers. Pretty sure I can figure out what will fit but any recommendations that arent hookers/headmans? So the engine will be mild but fun enough for what the truck is going to be used for - old school brush hauler and first muscle rig for my son in a few years. Body is fine-ish. Have a new nose with good fenders and grill. Also going to try and mate up a barracuda bumper to the rear. I've read its a thing but we'll see how easy it goes. Nothing I cant handle after doing paint and body on the dart and a mustang this last winter. Don't have fond memories of the drum brakes and still trying to figure out which GM kit to convert to. Recommendations?
Thinking I'll try lowering it with the rear axle flip and van lower arms. Anything else that goes with that swap? Shock recommendations?
Looking at wheels, how big can you (should you) go on rim width and any backspacing needed?
Need to look into the rear end to see exactly what Ive go back there. I know its an open diff but no idea what size it is or what gears are back there.
Picture is for starting point reference and motivation to keep moving forward.

truck.jpg

Last edited:
Drums on the rear, or all four? The '68 Charger I had for 18 years and all three of the '69 road runners (including the present one) had four wheel drums. Aside from parking it in the wintertime, I drive my car frequently, so I never had that shock of going from a modern car to 50 year old tech. But you do have to keep in mind they are a 2020. I'll be interested in your Club Cab project! Love to find a complete dash from a Dodge that vintage to swap into my '81.
You can stick some pretty good sized tires under the back of these trucks too.
And welcome to the site!

Back