• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 D300 rejuvenation

Brutiss300

Reaction score
This thing has been sitting in a barnyard for 13yrs. Airborne ammonia from nearby cattle has corroded everything!! I mean, it looks like HELL! I was shocked! Good pressure wash and regular upkeep/upgrades should put it on the road in 31yrs!!🤣

20221115_160938.jpg

20221115_154956.jpg

It's not natural to see fuel tanks outside the frame rails anymore. But it allows just about anything in the exhaust department. Doesn't look like all that time in the barnyard did too much damage.

Never thought about that. Safety concerns n all that I suppose! Something 2 consider! Maybe some wraparound nerf bars. Now u said it...I'm worried. Some 1/8" diamond plate wrapping around from front of bed frame. Already at 90" width!! Don't Semi's have outboard tanks??

Anybody have experience w fuel tank cleaners like Star-tron. Pour it in, add gas, sit 24/36hrs start it up n run it all thru allowing fuel filter to remove big chunks?!

Most have saddle tanks outside the frame rails, usually they have a step in them

On the rare occasion I do need parking, I'll b pulling something, will find one in the boondocks!

Walmart's back 40 can get crowded in some locations and as you know it's gas so fueling can even be a problem if over 50 feet. I like the RV pumps that allow plenty of room to get in but next to non to get out.

Pulled the Edelbrock 800 off 2day(head start on replacing cam w Erson grind MF-2), then LH valve cover 2 inspect serial#. As expected, 76-78, 440. Block# confirms 1976 w rib above freeze plugs and thicker motor mount brkts. Y'all probably knew this! It's new info 2 me! I had 4gotten year of MH! Anyway...it's good news! Disconnected n pulled shift cable. Poor routing, mostly frozen. After lots of WD40, Marvel Mystery oil and shifting 100 time...works like it should! Moving along!

20221129_152627.jpg

Back