• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

5.7 or 6.1 swap

dusted72

Reaction score
Anybody ever swapped a 5.7 or 6.1 in to a Gen 2 Ram? If so was there alot of fab work or are there mounts that work. Basically what all is needed to do the swap. Need first hand info from someone who has done it.

I have seen it in the old power rams. Probably as much fab work as a older ram or duster. I would call Schumacher and talk to them. Sure they have heard of it before.

hotrodlane.cc has a plug and play harness. and motor mount adapters that may work. they are not too difficult to make. you may need to use the cj5 brake booster for clearance the trans will bolt up except for one hole. if they can swap the new hemi into a 1st and second generation dakota you can do this

From what I always have heard the 5.7 was basically the same block as the 5.1 or 5.9 I am not really really sure how the 6.1 plays into it all. I have read threads in various forums where guys where putting the new HEMI's into cars to me it seemed like oil pan and mounts were always issues. Since trucks and cars always had different mounts and oil pans this is no surprise to me. I think since your going from truck to truck should really be less of a hassle. I think you would be able to take the older style mounts and bolt them right up to the new style engine. Like Rapidtransitrick brought up guys are dropping these into Dakotas fairly regularly it seems now. With the first gen Dakotas especially, your threading the needle pretty much with putting a V8 into one so I would think they would have to be pretty close to a match to the v8's of that era, for the amount of guys I have heard of doing it. These are just my thoughts and observations though.

I got to looking and after buying all the parts to do the swap I could build one hellava 360. Maybe that's why there arent alot of them done. I guess why go through the hassle and cash to do it. Yeah it would be cool but still, I already have the 360 why not use it.

I got to looking and after buying all the parts to do the swap I could build one hellava 360. Maybe that's why there arent alot of them done. I guess why go through the hassle and cash to do it. Yeah it would be cool but still, I already have the 360 why not use it.

This is my thoughts too. Its just like with the muscle cars you say 340 and dudes cream themselves. Same way with the Hemi name. I mean the Hemi is impressive don't get me wrong. Its basically a 318 With fancy heads and pistons and it puts out more power than a 360. But why not start with a 360, crank to crank your starting with more torque and in the end you can build more power for cheaper than the Hemi name is going to cost you.

Don't listen to me I just rechecked the numbers 360 and the 5.7 have the same stroke. But you can still build more power for cheaper in my opinion.

I think of it this way. Dare to be different!

Yes it would be different but I have decided to stay with the 360 since a Hemi would require modifing the truck too much. It is a limited production number SS/T, once it's modified it will never be the same.

thats too bad this guy is doing it right now. only he's doing it the hard way. this swap can be simplified with just retrofiting the engine harness and reflashing the computer. or purchasing an after market harness and computer same way the a bodies are doing it. engine brackets can be made to drop onto your existing frame mounts. i may be doing this swap in the near future. when this happens i will start a blow by blow thread on the build. plenty of dakotas have been done without butchering and so can the 2nd gen ram

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram/248867-hemi-swap-into-a-2nd-generation-ram.html

Back