• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

47RH interchange

7mopar

Reaction score
Have not been able to get a valid response form the small truck guys. I have been looking for a 47RH transmission to put behind my old "89" 360 gas in a 82 D350 dually commercial frame this is a work truck 4:56 gears and really need the ovedrive. Realize valve body and converter will need to be changed unless I can find one from a V10. What I really need to know will it bolt to my old gas engine?

Sorry but I couldn't find any thread were you asked this question before but look for an 89 to 93 Dodge truck 2 wheel drive with a 518 (or 46rh) and it will bolt up . Make sure you use the correct converter with it . Hopefully you'll find a 360 truck and the converter will be with it . Your going to need a drive shaft as well because the 727 that you have now is shorter . Hope this helps .

Bear, Need a heavy duty trans and there was a good reason the 518 was never put in a 1 ton truck behind any engine. That is exactly why I was asking about the 47RH interchange. Will still have to shorten a drive shaft and make a pinion yoke change to except the larger universals but at lest would have a usable overdrive and pull a load.

I don't know if this helps or not but I was forced to do a lot of research not to long ago because of the transmission issues I had with my 97 . I found out that the 47re would not bolt up to my 5.9 gas motor . As it sound's like you know they came in the V10's and the diesel's which have a different bolt pattern for the bell housing . So I would assume the 47rh would not bolt up to your 360 gas motor . Here's an idea . All a 47rh is , is a 46rh with heavy duty internals . Why don't you just pick up a 46rh and have a transmission shop build it as a 47rh ? It might be worth checking into .

No problem "7mopar" . As far as what I went threw with my 97 ? Well after I found out that they have HP and heavy duty stuff for these transmission's now , I decided to go nuts and order the parts and have a local guy build me one to my spec's . This way as I build more power and economy into my truck , I shouldn't have to worry about the transmission ever again . Key word "shouldn't" ! lol But just as I was about to bight the bullet and order everything , I got lucky and found a guy that had already done pretty much everything I was going to do to mine , to his . But he had totaled his truck . So I bought his and saved big time and I now have a brand new "built" 46re transmission in my truck that's probably stronger then a 47 . Which is great but after all that I went threw I figured out that all along I had a short in the wiring and it was sending a false signal to my PCM . It's all fixed now , but I was forced to learn a lot about these transmission's .

Thanks "Bear" for the info this maybe you the route to go I just do not like the idea of such a long tail shaft.

Back