1. Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

47RH interchange

Dodge Diesel

1. 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Have not been able to get a valid response form the small truck guys. I have been looking for a 47RH transmission to put behind my old "89" 360 gas in a 82 D350 dually commercial frame this is a work truck 4:56 gears and really need the ovedrive. Realize valve body and converter will need to be changed unless I can find one from a V10. What I really need to know will it bolt to my old gas engine?

2. bear

bearWell-Known Member

Sorry but I couldn't find any thread were you asked this question before but look for an 89 to 93 Dodge truck 2 wheel drive with a 518 (or 46rh) and it will bolt up . Make sure you use the correct converter with it . Hopefully you'll find a 360 truck and the converter will be with it . Your going to need a drive shaft as well because the 727 that you have now is shorter . Hope this helps .

3. 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Bear, Need a heavy duty trans and there was a good reason the 518 was never put in a 1 ton truck behind any engine. That is exactly why I was asking about the 47RH interchange. Will still have to shorten a drive shaft and make a pinion yoke change to except the larger universals but at lest would have a usable overdrive and pull a load.

4. bear

bearWell-Known Member

I don't know if this helps or not but I was forced to do a lot of research not to long ago because of the transmission issues I had with my 97 . I found out that the 47re would not bolt up to my 5.9 gas motor . As it sound's like you know they came in the V10's and the diesel's which have a different bolt pattern for the bell housing . So I would assume the 47rh would not bolt up to your 360 gas motor . Here's an idea . All a 47rh is , is a 46rh with heavy duty internals . Why don't you just pick up a 46rh and have a transmission shop build it as a 47rh ? It might be worth checking into .

5. 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Bear
    Thanks that is what I needed to know. What did you end up doing?

6. bear

bearWell-Known Member

No problem "7mopar" . As far as what I went threw with my 97 ? Well after I found out that they have HP and heavy duty stuff for these transmission's now , I decided to go nuts and order the parts and have a local guy build me one to my spec's . This way as I build more power and economy into my truck , I shouldn't have to worry about the transmission ever again . Key word "shouldn't" ! lol But just as I was about to bight the bullet and order everything , I got lucky and found a guy that had already done pretty much everything I was going to do to mine , to his . But he had totaled his truck . So I bought his and saved big time and I now have a brand new "built" 46re transmission in my truck that's probably stronger then a 47 . Which is great but after all that I went threw I figured out that all along I had a short in the wiring and it was sending a false signal to my PCM . It's all fixed now , but I was forced to learn a lot about these transmission's .

7. 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Thanks "Bear" for the info this maybe you the route to go I just do not like the idea of such a long tail shaft.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.