• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

408 windage tray (street)

Reaction score
Hey, new guy from ND. Im curious to hear you guys opinions on a milidon tray for a hyd flat tapet 408 on the street with stock pan and HV pump? Would it be wise or a good Idea? I already bought it but not sure if I should run it or if it'll even clear a 4" crank(iIr it will). I heard windage trays aren't good for a flat tapet street motor that sees alot of idling since the crank splashes oil on the cam. The reason I bought it was cuz the original build was going to be a roller but funds changed. It'll be internally balanced cast scat crank so I'm also concerned about added rotational weight. Then again it wont see the other side of 5,500-6,000 rpm. Being its cast it still concerns me though. Another thing thats a concern is a sucking the pan dry w/o the use of the tray. My 318 has a HV pump but its never seen past 4,500 rpm, another 1,500-2,000 rpm might tell a different story. Whats your guys thoughts

Don't really have an answer for you either just my own personal data points. On my own 360 that has a HV pump and cast internally balanced crank, I don't run a windage tray and I have on occasion hit 7-8k area and have never seen a significant drop in oil pressure or at least no more drop than it does under normal load. My 360 runs a pretty solid 80psi drops back to around 70 under load and can drop as low as 60 if your drag racing. That data is from when that engine was in my dart with a center sump pan. Also when ever I have caught my self running it up that high I back off right away. When I shift by ear the the engine wants more RPM than I feel comfortable giving it.

Windage tray for street aplications is a waste of money. The main reason people use it is for less drag on the crank as it spins around. Thus a couple more horses.

Thanks for the welcoming guys... I realise their over kill for the street but at the time I figured 10+ hp for $60 wasnt too bad. Being that I'm run heavy KB cast pistons I figured less weight on the crank would give me quicker revs and leave more oil in the pan. My concern now is wiping out a cam do to not enough splash from the crank (idling)

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I'll just run it since I got it. Im probably fretting over nothing... My first motor :p sorry for the newbish question lol.

My two cent's ? I say run it ! The way I look at it is that every little bit help's when it come's to makeing more power .

I would run it, there is a ton of oil splashing around inside the motor even at idle. Just make sure that you prime the motor (not by cranking) when it is reassembled and that you use cam lube on the lobes when assembling and follow cam manufacturers recommendations for first start up and you should not have a problem with the cam.

Since you have it I would use it. I have one for my little 318. Ma Mopar installed them from the factory on the 340 back in the day.

If your putting a higher capacity pan on there I don't think you have too many issues sucking it dry. I try to stay out of the higher rpms, but it doesn't take long for that oil to make it back to the bottom. Post a picture!

Back