• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 speed shifter knob

oldfolksmopar

Reaction score
High guys, I am trying to get the round knob off of my original shifter in my 1980 d150. I just can't figure it out! It looks like it has a nut below the ball but I can't move it. It should be easy, but I guess it's not! HELP!!

There may be a set screw in the knob near the bottom, possibly facing the dash? That's been my experience, but it was in a Toyota, still wish I had that knob, wood with a green shift pattern inlay.

Thanks LocoMob, I will check that out. I am wanting to repair the shifter boot and if I take it off from the bottom, it will probably tear the boot more. This knob still has the shift pattern on it so trying to do it without destroying it too!! Thanks again.

Are you trying to thread that nut on or off the handle? The reason I ask is that it's a lock nut, used by jamming it tight against the knob so to remove the knob thread the lock nut on the shaft to allow threading the knob off and then remove the lock nut.

Hang on to the ball so it will not rotate and turn the lock nut clockwise.
Morning everyone, I got it. What had happened is the previous owner had rounded the jam nut. It was also very close inside the shifter knob, maybe only an 1/8 inch showing. Plus being rusty. I had to use a pair of vice grips and finally was able to loosen the jam nut and off it came. Thanks to all that replied. Figures something this small could be such a pain in the ass.

On to the next project!

I was going to say , hold the knob and spin the truck . :D

Check the Hurst shifter site they may just have a new lock nut
Actually it was a 9/16 inch locking nut. As cheap as I am and being it was rounded off, I took a file and turned it into a 1/2 inch. Worked fine. It won't be jammed on like the last time!

Waiting to put it in the garage this winter and will be lowering her down a little bit. I am actually thinking about turning the long bed into a short bed. We will see! Thanks guys

OH, I just looked at the paper and in Kern county Cal. they had a picture and it had two nice old Dodge trucks burnt to the ground. It is devastating to see those fires and all the family's that have lost everything. Lets keep them in our prayers.

Back