• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

34 dodge truck upgrade.

Don selleck

Reaction score
Well got this a few months ago, from Texas. A very clean truck. was hesitant to do any cutting on the old girl but the last guy installed a s-10 five speed and a few other mods to get the truck up to 55 to 65 mph, which is good for a 87 year old. well the old flat six was weeping here and there and noticed a few gobs of stop leak stuck to the radiator cap, so it was no surprise she started blowing antifreeze out of it. It still runs till it gets up to temperature, something expands and she starts puking. I was going to rebuild the flat six and put a small turbo on it but don't think it would last long even the the small 5lbs of boost I was planning on giving it. that would have got me around 110hp. So after discussing this with a friend, he suggested why not a leaning tower of power, at first i was hesitant, but after thinking about it I would be be starting with about the max I could get out of a turboed flat 6, then a a small turbo to that hmmm. well here I go. One rule it needs to fit under the hood. wanting to keep a stock looking appearance, she barely fits. about an 1 1/4" total clearance.

20210901_175845 (1).jpg

20210901_161538.jpg

20210901_164045.jpg

20210901_152754.jpg

20210901_160359.jpg

I'm thinking that with some forged pistons, and some good rods with a little porting, with a fresenup, it should be fine.

Nice project, a slant 6 with a little boost would be interesting. Are you thinking blow through carb or going EFI? If you really put in a lot of time, port injected EFI would be interesting

looking at a holley sts rear turbo mount kit there smallest is for a 4.0 to 5.0 l. a slant six is 3.6l so thinking a ported cammed up good flowing slant might take it gonna contact them tomorrow to see there thoughts are on it. kind of thinking carb for now to keep it as simple as possible. would like to be able to dial it in between around 4 to 8 lbs. will be adding boost gauge and an afr for a piece of mind. these rear turbos act as mufflers so that will save some more space too. STS Turbo STS1000 STS Turbo Remote Mount Multi Fit Single Turbo Kit

looking at a holley sts rear turbo mount kit there smallest is for a 4.0 to 5.0 l. a slant six is 3.6l so thinking a ported cammed up good flowing slant might take it gonna contact them tomorrow to see there thoughts are on it. kind of thinking carb for now to keep it as simple as possible. would like to be able to dial it in between around 4 to 8 lbs. will be adding boost gauge and an afr for a piece of mind. these rear turbos act as mufflers so that will save some more space too. STS Turbo STS1000 STS Turbo Remote Mount Multi Fit Single Turbo Kit
Sounds good, what carb are you planning on running? It will need to be set up for the pressure it will see with the turbo

I like it! Chrysler has some damn good motors that never get used because of their displacement so it's always nice seeing someone put one to good use. Should make for a pretty cool truck.. beats the hell out of seeing another 350 Chevy under the hood too!!

If some one would provide an affordable computer to use with the newer engines the selection would be vastly improved.

I like it! Chrysler has some damn good motors that never get used because of their displacement so it's always nice seeing someone put one to good use. Should make for a pretty cool truck.. beats the hell out of seeing another 350 Chevy under the hood too!!
thank you, thats what I thought slant sixes a a dime a dozen, the way hot rodding used to be. The turbo set up is pricey, but if you do your homework you can get a junk yard one for cheap and rebuild if it isnt melted down. I can't wait to here it run no muffler (the turbo is the muffler) and a whistling with a blow off valve should be very cool, and a one of a kind. I always like messing with the hardcore mopar guys telling them about a ls swap, usually gets them going pretty good, personally I don't like that kind of cross breeding. :happy:

still waiting for an IFS, been 12 weeks, called and should be a week or 2 so I figure wait till after the holidays end and give them a call. removed the original front end it was 5/8" out of square, and actually went down the road fairly straight, never followed behind it but it must have been dog tracking a bit, steering was decent. lots of holes peppered throughout the frame looks like I'll be filling in alot of those. the 17k mile motor has been resealed and ready for fitment, picked up a push button trans near columbus ohio was gonna rebuild it but its been sitting for a while and never done a push button, has to be very similar to a standard 904 but, a friend of mine could use the work and he is a retired mopar trans guy so should be done right the first time plus he's working on putting a slide in yoke tailshaft and a rear tailshaft housing.

Attachments

• 20211203_144431 (1).jpg
    20211203_144431 (1).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 20211203_144435 (1).jpg
    20211203_144435 (1).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 161
also picked up this unusual specimen, a 1949 willys overland pick up stashed it away up in the front garage next to my wifes car.

Attachments

• 20211208_122700.jpg
    20211208_122700.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 20211208_122636.jpg
    20211208_122636.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20211208_122629.jpg
    20211208_122629.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 159
I was going to but really won't be working on that too much till i get this 34 moving, everything is moving so slow now with parts etc. figured I give you guys a little intro to it. It is a colorado truck, that went to New York, then Ohio, and now here in Michigan and is very solid, beat up pretty good but hardly any rust. it does run and drive about 40mph with a 289 mated up to the original drive trane, front drive shaft is misssing, no room for it, headers and oil pan in the way. Right now its a rattle trap thats not really road worthy at all. that one will be a very unique 4wheel drive cruiser one day. Right now just figuring what I can fit in it, and maintain the original look on the outside. I did buy a coparts membership , so that should come in handy on that one.

Back