• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

318 poly vs 318 la

Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if a 1967 Dodge truck 318 poly motor with manual 3 speed will work in my 77 power wagon with 4 speed manual np465 granny gear truck ? I have the flywheel and all the parts that came out of the 77 but the motor needs rebuilt and I have access to the 67 poly motor which runs good and all the rotating assembly. Just wondering if the exchange is possible or maybe just rebuild my 318. Thanks for any advise in advance...
59009d36158c0e5d4cd7.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

It would be like doing a big block conversion basically. Different mounts and the tranny cross member may be different. I'm not certain. I would just rebuild the 318 or find a 360 since it looks to be 4x4

Just off the top of my head . You'd need the motor mount brackets , truck oil pan & pick up , bell housing , fly wheel , and possibly a smaller brake booster .

Why go to a poly. They rev like a big block but is a small block. Got one in my 66 powerwagon. Find yourself a nice low mileage 360, go through it, you'll have a small block with more power even in stock form. Only thing is, remember that a 360 is externally balanced. Other small blocks are internally balanced.

Get a magnum out of a bone yard! Can be had on the cheap which is always nice!:rockon:

I'm thinking about doing that myself with my Ramcharger . I'm doing some research as we speak on the swap .

Thanks for all the input. This truck has the np435 with the granny gear and crusis at about 50 mph. So really no need for more power ect. I have the bellhousing , flywheel, newer clutch ect for the truck to match a LA 318 and all I need is a 318 motor. If I start changing things around one problem will lead to another as of what will work and what will be needed with the motor I choose. Like a 360 with the external ballancing. Now I just might get a 318 out of the bone yrd lol but even then, reading about the ballancing if I put my flywheel on a bone yrd motor am I going to get vibration once again ? IDK.. So the truck sits right now. Thinking about selling it.

Personally I think "that truck" is worth putting a motor in . You should be able to get a 318 LA motor from 91 down weather it be from a junk yard or a parts truck and drop it right in . Just make sure the front balancer is on that motor . If you can score a low miles later 80"s early 90's 318 then those truck motors even have factory roller cans . Also make sure the back of the crank excepts the output shaft for the stick . I can't remember if all the 318's did or not off the top of my head . But that's just my two cents .

Back