• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

3 on the Tree to floor conversion

Hyperballsmcgee

Reaction score
Hi, I came over here from the a-bodies only forum, and i'm possibly getting a 74 d100 step side, slant six as a DD, however it is a 3 on the tree and I would MUCH rather have a stick than shift on the column. What would it entail to convert it? What would I need? How would I do it?

As for the conversion, as long as you can find the appropriate shifter mechanism, it shouldn't come to much more than removing the linkage from the existing tranny, bolting on the new shifter, connecting the new linkage and adjusting the rods to make sure everything shifts ok. It will entail cutting a hole in the driveline tunnel so the shifter can stick up into the cab. The most inportant thing is to get a shifting mechanism that will fit your transmission. I say this because trying to fabricate the appropriate mounting brackets that attach to the transmission could be a really big headache. You want something that you simply cut a hole in the floor and bolt on. The manner in which the two shifters function is exactly the same, just that the 3 on the tree has the mechanism in the steering column rather than adjacent to the tranny. I suspect that a shifter that works on older Mopar cars would work. Maybe someone here knows for sure.

I think hurst still makes a floor shifter for it . Make sure you use the right linkages for the floor shifter . Being a factory six then you should have the A-833 style transmission in it as well as the flat style transmission tunnel . The floor shift models have a plastic hump on the side of the tunnel that just screws on to the tunnel were the shifter will come threw after you cut the whole .

Back