• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

3.9 engine

Tough question, what is the purpose of the truck? Daily driver or toy you plan on building up?

Cliff, I have seen alot of those engines go 200k plus. If you are just gonna
use it as a DD I would keep The V-6 Magnum and when it need's it re-build it.

Not really sure what to recommend to you for a daily driver. If the engine needs a rebuilt do you want to spend the money on a rebuild or drop another one in? I mean you can easily find a 3.9 or 5.2 or 5.9 from a bone yard to drop in and all those engines that will fit in that truck are pretty plentiful or at least around here where I live. And all are fine engines in my opinion. If you can drive without your foot into the gas all the time all those engines will get you about the same gas mileage too or close enough anyways depending on driving conditions and such.

One down side I can for see is going from a 6 cyl to an 8 cyl, is I just recently parted out a 94 Dakota that had 6 cyl and I know that 6 filled out the distance between the firewall and radiator pretty good and putting an 8 in you will have to find room than for another row of cylinders. Not that this may even be that big of deal considering there was enough v8 dakota's out there finding whatever parts are needed to make it happen shouldn't be a problem. Just will add to cost and time of doing the swap.

Not really sure what to recommend to you for a daily driver. If the engine needs a rebuilt do you want to spend the money on a rebuild or drop another one in? I mean you can easily find a 3.9 or 5.2 or 5.9 from a bone yard to drop in and all those engines that will fit in that truck are pretty plentiful or at least around here where I live. And all are fine engines in my opinion. If you can drive without your foot into the gas all the time all those engines will get you about the same gas mileage too or close enough anyways depending on driving conditions and such.

One down side I can for see is going from a 6 cyl to an 8 cyl, is I just recently parted out a 94 Dakota that had 6 cyl and I know that 6 filled out the distance between the firewall and radiator pretty good and putting an 8 in you will have to find room than for another row of cylinders. Not that this may even be that big of deal considering there was enough v8 dakota's out there finding whatever parts are needed to make it happen shouldn't be a problem. Just will add to cost and time of doing the swap.

I know it can get pretty confusing. If you go by EPA standards there is 1mpg difference between 3.9 and the 318 in stock form. I also know the 360 is can be decent on gas mileage if the ol' foot is kept out the gas tank. And now there is a new twist on things a 5.7 Hemi is being swapped in along with BB for a extreme HP.
At the most I can see the is the 3.9,318,360 cost the same to rebuild or close in price depending on what you want to do.

Cliff, I have seen alot of those engines go 200k plus. If you are just gonna
use it as a DD I would keep The V-6 Magnum and when it need's it re-build it.

I have thought about that but being near 250,000 I wonder how good the block is?

Cliff I don't think you will know until you take off the heads. Heck it might still have the factory cross hatching.

Back