• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2WD small block to 4WD Big Block

Corey383

Reaction score
I have just started the assembly of this project. I have a lot of questions, so I don't have to find out the hard way. I am using the suspension from a 1986 Ramcharger, the frame and body of a 1985 pickup, and the motor, tranny, and transfer case of a 1974 Power Wagon. The front end is about complete and I am trying to get the right bushings for the rear leaf springs now.
Questions:
1) The transfer case from the Power Wagon is the NP-203. I haven't read too many good things about it and I was wondering how difficult it would be to use the transfer case out of the Ramcharger. Will it bolt up to the big block tail shaft?
2) My cab is from a 2WD truck and the tunnel is much smaller. Will I have to use the tunnel from the Ramcharger to get enough clearance?
3) Is it easier to put a body lift on it or buy the kit to relocate the brake booster? It may still not even be possible with the body lift, I don't know.

Thanks for the help Guys

IMG_1260.JPG

What trans is in the Ramcharger and what transfer case? What's the trans from the Power Wagon?

We did an opposite fifteen years ago using a 70's 3/4 ton four wheel frame transmission and divorced transfer and a 93 body. The body had a three inch lift. Your brake lines should be fine and the booster with the body lift should have engine clearance. If not find a small booster.
You will also need the four wheel drive cross member and rear mount. I am not sure if the center cab mount from the ram charger will be in the proper location for the standard cab. I would recommend using the tunnel from the ram charge but would not weld it in. Not sure why everyone dropped the bolt in tunnel. We used the two wheel drive automatic tunnel, cut the passenger side out to clear the transfer shift lever and fabricated a cover.

We should have taken pictures but did not. Not often one sees a body and engine hanging in mid air with all electricals, a/c and engine fluids in tact.

The trans is a 727 and the transfer case is the NP-208. It makes sense that it should bolt right up, but I have no clue if the shafts connecting them are different or not. I have never torn it to one, but it looks like I will. I never thought about just using the tunnel and bolting it in, but makes sense.

You will be making shaft anyway. I don't remember what length the front shaft needs to be. Don't make it any longer than needed or the shaft to the front differential will be to short. We had that problem on a 74.

The NP-208 has a 23 spline input shaft as does the NP-203. You will have to pull both adapters to see if the output shafts are the same length

These two threads from FABO cover '74 W200 trucks, the first has the rebuild of the 203, and the second will also have the rebuild, parts are ordered. Also covered is the GM disc swap if interested. These trucks were solid in their time, and when refreshed, are as tough as ever.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just got the leaf spring bushings, so I should have a rolling chassis again soon. The next thing will be swapping the transfer cases and getting the crossmember and K-member in place.

Back