• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

285 ci Dodge engine?

Richard Sweet

Reaction score
I'm looking for general information on the 4.7L or 287 ci, V8, Dodge engine. According to an engine rebuilder, it is a modern V8 that tends to drop valve seats when they get too hot. What experiences have you had with this engine?
Thanks, Richard.

Last edited:
If your intention is to put it in an older vehicle electronics would be a bigger concern than valve seats.

From the one's I have seen, timing chain problems, warped heads, I had one in with valve seat problems. The big issue is if the maintenance has been performed on the engine routinely, oil changes go a long way to making the timing chains last. The head gaskets don't blow because they are multilayer steel, the heads warp and need to be machined if a head gasket is leaking.

If your intention is to put it in an older vehicle electronics would be a bigger concern than valve seats.
Yes, I was considering it for a replacement engine in my '65 Dodge van. So all the wiring and sensors and an electronic control unit would also be needed? I guess that means a used but running engine that can be accessed by an electronic code reader. I have never had a vehicle with all that stuff.

From the one's I have seen, timing chain problems, warped heads, I had one in with valve seat problems. The big issue is if the maintenance has been performed on the engine routinely, oil changes go a long way to making the timing chains last. The head gaskets don't blow because they are multilayer steel, the heads warp and need to be machined if a head gasket is leaking.
Are they carbureted or fuel injection and aluminum heads?

Injected with coil packs and plugs under the intake i think.
One of the boys had one and tried to tell me it had no spark plugs. It did run well thou and got decent mileage. Front end in that year of ram had the upper ball joint problem. After coming apart twice on the road he had enough and got rid of it.
For the work it will take to get it there why not the hemi?

I am quite different at times but a 65. Threehundred C or Intrepid V8 transaxle. Get that heat tank from between the front seats. Mid engine.
But it would not be a cargo build. Suitcases and groceries.

Are they carbureted or fuel injection and aluminum heads?
That engine only has been around since about 2000 or 2001, always fuel injected, aluminum heads, coil on plug. If your going to swap it in to a older van your going to need a lot from a donor vehicle. ECM, harness, accessory drive, all is unique to the 4.7

Whats your electrical capabilities? I can not imagine it being plug and play.
At least with the newer hemi there are kits and support to get around issues.
But if you have the capabilities go for it.

I read that they stopped making the 4.7L in 2013. I guess the 4 speed automatic transmissions let them rev higher to get horsepower. Too bad they were problematic. It would be nice to have a modern engine.

Newer trucks and Jeeps have different V-6 or V-8 with fewer pieces now but those look like they would be expensive to work on. They almost look like disposable engines.

I'm still looking for alternatives and considering rebuilding the original 273 again; it has been a good engine and has over 300,00 miles.

Last edited:
Its going to be hard to beat the efficiency of the 273 and an expensive venture. Other than replacing a high mileage engine whats the goal?

I'm just thinking of rebuilding it to get the compression up even in all cylinders and possibly boring, if needed, to take advantage of a 4-barrel intake and carb and dual exhaust. It's just not performing like I know it can. I want to be able to take long trips in it again and to pull a small trailer occasionally.

What was intriguing about the 4.7L engine is that it makes 100 more horsepower than the 273 and is more fuel efficient.

I am finding that extra hp comes with added expenses.
The 3.9 in our 93 Dakota is rated at 175 hp the 5.9 in the 82 D350 is the same advertised. Do I want the 3.9 in the 82? No

Back