• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

24 months and nearly done

bikinkawboy

Reaction score
I 'bout got her done. Still have several small things to sort out and install new front tires, but it motivates under its own power. It started out as a very rusty '77 D150 that had set behind the shed unused for something like 17 years. In 2011 I considered scrapping it but couldn't bring myself to do so considering all of the memories it held (dating the ex, bringing the babies home from the hospital, etc).

I converted it to a 4-wheel drive, which is more entailed than it would first appear. The bed was in such bad shape that I searched and found a better bed from an Air Force radio truck. While in better shape, it still took a LOT of time and work to repair the rust damage as well as making all of the antenna holes cut into the bed sides go away.

The paint is Van Sickle enamel found at farm stores and used on farm equipment. I used regular gloss black and Ferguson Gray (an extinct brand of tractor) with Van Sickle clear coat. I used Van Sickle sandable primer on the bed but I won't use it again. It's $40 a gallon compared to $25 a quart at NAPA, but it goes on too dry and with pits. I like the VS paint but not the primer. Early on I wondered if I had chosen a gray that was too dark, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. The trim is original although I added the drip rail trim, tail light bezels, the trim next to the wing, the cab clearance lights as well as the OEM cargo light. Complete overhaul on the engine and front axle, frame off restoration, etc. The only thing I didn't do by myself was install the front windshield. Shop manual says to have a helper and I didn't want to atempt if and bust the glass. The amount of time I've invested in it is unreal. My doc says I have an obsessive-compulsive personality, which I think is a requirement when restoring an old junk vehicle. Otherwise I would have given up a long time ago.

t#3.jpg

t#1.jpg

t#2.jpg

Oh, the wheels were rusty chrome and off of the parts truck. I had to sandblast and paint them. The center holes were too big for the end of the rear axle and had wallowed out the holes because the studs were supporting all of the weight rather than the center of the wheel. I repaired the holes and cut the center out of OEM wheels and welded into the chrome wheels.

That truck is beautiful. The '77 that I have is two tone green, definitely not my favourite colour combination, but it's starting to grow on me.

Here's what it looked like before I started working on it. You can see it was a real rust bucket. And before I actually started on it, the bed was full of junk, there were multiple rolls of barbed wire stacked on the hood, mold growing on the windows and around the trim, the inside was full of crud and well, you get the picture. I kept a running record of the different repairs-replacements-refurbishments I did. Something like 6 pages and over 340 different things both large and small. I guess if nothing else, one of the kids will get a good truck when I croak.

old3.jpg

old1.jpg

old2.jpg

I do not remember seeing Van-Sickle clear coat before. But your truck looks nice. I am going to have to get some more body work done and get some paint on mine.

Since you're in Missouri, check out any Orschelns Farm and Home store, they should have it. I've only seen it in quarts, but a quart goes quite a ways.

Back