• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2003 ram1500 not starting

stansgray03

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
When the outside tempreture drops to around 45 degrees my truck will not start in the morning. Later in the day after the outside temp rises it starts right up.
It's a 2003 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 Hemi in it.

Is it not cranking when it's cold or is it cranking to much ?

Hi Bear,

It cranks good and tries to fire but won't start. After a couple tries smells like it's flooded. I have to let it set till the temp rises then it will start.
Had the battery checked yesterday and it was still in good shape.
My thought was that it must be a sensor, I've also read that it could be the ignition module.

I had it in a shop last winter for this but it is still doing it.

Well were this sounds like a temperature related symptom I was thinking something like the coolant sensor (ECT) and I would think that would show a code . The only other thing I can think of , off the top of my head would something with the fuel pressure . I hate to scare you and I don't know if this is the case , but I remember that there was a bulletin put out on this gen truck concerning this symptom and it involved replacing the throttle body . I haven't gotten a chance to look it up to post it for you yet though . Been kinnda busy getting my truck's ( and it seems like everyone else's lol ) ready for the winter season . From what there saying were supposed to get a lot of wet heavy snow around here this year .

Thanks for responding Bear, I haven't had a chance to get it checked for codes yet. I've been looking on line and it seems that it has been a problem with more then my truck. But haven't seen where anyone has posted the cure yet.

Right now the check engine is off but it comes on every once in a while. If it spits out a code I'll post it.

Got a code that the crank sensor was intermittently working. Replace it and my truck started right up. I'll have to wait for another cold day to see if it solved the problem. $34 for the sensor.

Well our morning tempretures here have been in the teens for a couple of days and my truck is still starting. Guess it was the crank sensor causing the problem.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out . One thing you don't want on a cold winter morning , is for your truck not to start .

Back