• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2001 Ram 2500 ?

04 Diesel

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 2001 Dodge 2500 , auto, 4x4, 360. He was asking $2500, I asked to see it today. He sent me a email and told me he is having a problem with the truck and did not have time to fix it so he dropped the price to $1500. He told me the truck will start and run then just shut down, like someone turned the key off. I went and looked at it and like it but need to figure out what the problem is, I did not buy the truck. He put a new fuel pump in and water pump [old pump was leaking] but problem is still there. He said the computer was replaced in 2013, when the truck dies there is a clicking coming from the fuel pump relay. I put my finger on it and I could feel it clicking. He said he switched the fuel realy fuse and same problem, why is it clicking? This happened 5 or 6 times, the truck would run for 30 seconds then stop. Does anybody have any ideas? One of the times the truck died I got under the truck by the gas tank and could hear the fuel pump running but it did not sound right. It would run then stop then run then stop, it would do this real fast like there is a short. After I left I started thinking, I think I can fix this truck. I sent him a message to see if he will take $1000? He called me and he is thinking about it, he will let me know later tonight. Wow! a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab for $1000. But, can I figure out whats wrong? Any ideas? The truck has 300,000 miles on it.

Well, He called and he will take $1,100. I am going to pick it up this morning, I hope I can get it running. So any help from you guys would be great. Thank you. Also I found a ECM from a 2000 Dodge 2500 360, will this ECM work in this 2001? If it does, Do I just takethe old one out and put new one in? Not sure if there is something else that has to be done.

Last edited:
I guess it is, I put a ECM in my truck that came out of a 2000 Dodge 2500 and it worked!!

The ECM I took out of my truck, I looked up the part number and it is for a Dodge Durango. I guess thats why it didnt work.

Be careful swapping used computers in your trucks . They don't all swap from year to year and application to application . And if you have a sate inspection and they plug in your truck it will come up with all the info from the truck it came out of and not the one it's in . Like the VIN numbers from the other truck .

Be careful swapping used computers in your trucks . They don't all swap from year to year and application to application . And if you have a sate inspection and they plug in your truck it will come up with all the info from the truck it came out of and not the one it's in . Like the VIN numbers from the other truck .

I got lucky, The one from the 2000 worked fine and I dont have to worry about any inspection.

Back