• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1998 f-150 question

Ralph

Reaction score
A friend is trying to sell me an f-150. It's a 1998 that he bought new. It has 56k Miles, and is in literally like new shape. Straight a
Cab, short flare side and never been in the snow. It's the 4.6 v8.
He orderd it brand new for his wife, who is now deceased. And he doesn't want it.
My question is the value. He is thinking he wants about $8,000. Is that fair?
jpeg-imag.jpg

Looks like a nice truck, he has a sentimental attachment to it but you don't. KBB private party value in very good condition lists it at $5,400 on the high end. I had to guess at a few of the options, but it gives you a very good idea what it's worth. I think he is $2,000 to high.

Thank you. I left out that it's an XLT , and it also is manual 4 wheel drive. Thanks for the info

My thought also to high. But it an almost new 30 year old truck. What will a newer 56K vehicle cost?
But if monies need to be barrowed to make the purchase that going to be a hard one.

I have known him and the truck since it was new. There are no surprises. The tires on it are the originals. Obviously they have to replaced, but it's just a matter of agreeing on a price and he has put the onus on me to be fair.
It has never broken a sweat and has been in 4 wheel drive on his road because it needed to be used, not because it had to pull the truck out.

IF I was in the market for such a vehicle and one similar came available I would personally value it at probably around 150% of book simply because it's history is known. That would, of course, assume it's not been sitting for two years after his wife passed and been ignored.

It has not been sitting ignored. Its loved in a garage and been run once a month or so. Hasn't been on the road, other than his own private road for about 6 years

Ooooo, six years? As long as you can test drive it and get it up to speed and find no issues, as said, I'd go a chunk over book. Not in the market myself, and not for a Ford if I was, but that's personal preference.

Yea some of us are sheet metal raciest. But what can I say because there is a Ford and Honda in the yard. I could not find a good used Chrysler product to fit the bill when purchased.

He's a sheet metal snob too. His wife wanted the Ford, he unfortunately never out grew the Chevy desease

[

QUOTE="7mopar, post: 32240, member: 1506"]Yea some of us are sheet metal raciest. But what can I say because there is a Ford and Honda in the yard. I could not find a good used Chrysler product to fit the bill when purchased.[/QUOTE]

Back