• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1997 Dodge 2500

04 Diesel

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 club cab with 150,000 miles, it has a 360 in it. What things should I look out for with this truck? Also what gears do you think are in it, its a automatic, so its a 46 or 47 re? Thanks.

They are known for cracking between the cylinders and mine is a 46re. Another thing to do is when you arnt going avove 40mph in town turn the overdrive off, it will save the transmission. My 97 is 2wd and it has 360.xxx plus miles on it and it still burns the tire off. The intake is a little ridiculous but all in all they are dodge rams man. I use mine in the oilfield on a regular basis so there is mud and water pits that are challenging to my 2wd but i still manage to get in and out with out overheating the engine or blowing it up. See if you can test drive it and make sure it dont do the death wabble and test out the 4x4. dont have to be muddy just engage it and drive around. If its a clean sale you will love it. hope this helps.

Thanks, There is rust on the driver side rocker. It needs to be cut out and replaced, the bottom of both doors have rust, the passanger side small door has a rust hole also. He said he will go down to $3,300 no lower, The truck is very nice besides the rust, its the original tranny. Should I be worried about that? Going to go look at it tomorrow.

If the engine dont smoke or leak or the trans dont slip or not shift than i think 3300 would be alright but with that much rust idk. i paid 1500 for mine and put a 1500$ trans in it and the only rust is on top where they had a light bar at one point. blue book it to see what its worth. all in all its up to you dude. good luck

Well hopefully you have a better understanding what to look for now when you go to look for another one.

Back