• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1990 Dodge PU....front end "skids" in a U-turn.

owlafaye

Reaction score
2 wheel drive, no positraction, 318 c.i. auto/PB PS...What is going on? Anybody out there that can tell me what is wore out? I had it aligned 15,000 miles ago but that didn't change anything. Only slightly out of alignment. Good tread on tires...Power Steering works smoothly...Lots of miles on truck. I just replaced the calipers and pads on the front, repacked bearings.

Try to make a low speed U-Turn and the truck immediately starts sliding on the outside tire (the outside of the circle I am turning in)

I know there is some drag in turning but this seems excessive.

Was the center link changed out somewhat recently? I had the same issue a while back and found it to be the link had been reversed when replaced. A very easy thing to do, hard to notice and a bear to find once done. I only found it by chance when parked next to a similar truck and while walking by spotted a difference between the two of them. Reversed the link and problem was gone.

Was the center link changed out somewhat recently? I had the same issue a while back and found it to be the link had been reversed when replaced. A very easy thing to do, hard to notice and a bear to find once done. I only found it by chance when parked next to a similar truck and while walking by spotted a difference between the two of them. Reversed the link and problem was gone.
I haven't installed a center link however, that is a good lead.....but since I have no other truck for comparison, tell me how I identify a properly installed center link.

If you can take a good pic or three from the front showing the center link I'll compare it to mine. Make sure it shows the attaching points of the tie rod ends. I could tell the difference by the angle of the tie rod ends, or at least that's how I found it. My front end guy was kind of embarrassed when I finally found it (he'd tried to align it many times with no luck) and admitted he'd missed that one even though he should have found it.

Look up steering axis inclination and I bet that will show you what's causing the problem but the center link is definitely a great place to start if everything is tight bc that would really throw it out of whack bad but still drive pretty decent otherwise

I'm not sure about our trucks,but the center link on my car is one piece with no wear items.The inner tie rod,pitman & idler endure all the wear.

I'm not sure about our trucks,but the center link on my car is one piece with no wear items.The inner tie rod,pitman & idler endure all the wear.
I believe it's the same way with our trucks .

Did it just start doing this after you did your front brakes and bearings or has it always done it ?

Your slow speed u-turn is a left turn correct? If it is check the frame rail at the steering box. Make sure it is straight.

Back